27

Raven screamed the whole way to medical. As soon as we got there, Jasper put her in a bed. As Abby gave Jackson orders, I went to Raven's side. "Make it stop," she whimpered.

Abby put her hand on my shoulder. "Maia, get the wristbands." I nodded and squeezed Raven's hand one last time. I grabbed Jasper's arm and practically dragged him out of the room.

"I can't believe I ever wanted that pill," he muttered.

"I wish things could be that easy," I said. "Take a magic pill and suddenly you never have to hurt again. It would sure solve a lot of my problems."

"Too good to be true."

We passed the cantina on the way to the supply room. Monty was power walking down the hallway in the direction we'd just come. "Hold on, I'll catch up with you in a minute," I told Jasper. I turned around and followed Monty. He jumped when I grabbed his arm.

"Maia, you scared me."

"Are you okay? You look a little frazzled," I said.

"Pike knows," he said. "He knows I helped with the escape. My mom warned me, but I've got to go."

"Okay, good. Get out of here. Be careful, watch your back." He nodded. Quickly I hugged him. "And thank you, Monty. You saved us."

"Pike is going to come for you next," he told me. "You need to leave. Get Jasper and Raven and go. I know they're the only reason you stayed."

I nodded. "That's what I'm trying to do." I reached down and pulled a gun out from under my jacket. "Take this, you might need it."

"Pike let you carry a gun even after he kicked you off the guard?" He asked confused. I smirked. "Oh right, thief."

"Take it and get out of here." I pressed the gun into his hand. Monty gave me a sad smile and then turned. I watched him go, and then headed back to Jasper.

"Monty okay?" Jasper asked.

I nodded. "He will be. Are you two still not talking?" Jasper shook his head. "You've got to let him back in eventually."

"Maybe you're right."

"I'm always right, you should know that by now."

"I talked to Shauna before...I'm glad I got that chance. I shouldn't have pushed her away. She didn't deserve that. She just wanted to help me."

I pointed out the door on our right. "This is it. Will you-"

"Watch the door?" He asked. "I've got it, for real this time."

I smiled at him and then headed inside. I slid a crate over so I could reach the top shelves. It took a few tries to find the box. None of them were conveniently labeled "Delinquent Wristbands."

I finally found the box and pulled it down. Just as I was heading for the door, Jasper shouted. "Maia!" I turned to look back at the room for another escape route. My eyes landed on a vent and I started climbing the shelf like a ladder. It was hard to hold onto the box and climb at the same time. Hands gripped me around the waist and yanked me off the shelf. I hit the ground and the case of wristbands went flying.

Dazed, I watched a few of Jaha's men lead Jasper in. They cuffed him to one of the shelves. "I'll be taking these," Jaha said. I lunged for the case, but one of the guards yanked it out of my hands. Jaha opened it and pulled out the wristbands. He sat them on the table and smashed them with a hammer. Jasper and I both yelled.

One of the guards cuffed my left arm to a shelf without even bothering to pick me up off the ground. Then he followed Jaha and the other guards out of the room. Once the door closed behind them I started digging through the cases on the bottom shelf.