15

Miller and I were led down the hall; eventually we met up with another pair of captives, Maya and Jasper. No one said anything. We turned down the hall, and came face to face with Maya's father. "Get out of our way, Vincent," the guard in the front said.

He shook his head. "That's my daughter."

"She's been helping the outsiders, that's treason."

"I can't let you take her."

"Dad, please," Maya called out.

The guard raised his gun. But before he could shoot, someone shot him. Miller and I flung our guards against the wall. Vincent helped Bellamy out of an air vent. "We need to get you all to the harvest chamber, you'll be safe there."

"Safe in the harvest chamber?" Jasper asked skeptically.

"Just trust me."

"Monty and Shauna?" I asked.

"They're with the other group on level three," Vincent said. To Bellamy he said, "You should go there next."

I grabbed up a gun off one of the fallen guards. "I'm going with you."

"Maia," Bellamy started.

I gave him a look. "Your cover's blown, there's no excuse. I can't sit around waiting for someone to save me. These are my people too, let me protect them."

"Okay, let's go." I followed him down the hallway. A few moments later Jasper and Maya joined us too.

Bellamy led us through air vents to the next level. We waited until the hall was clear before jumping out. "Attention, quarantine procedures are in effect," a voice said over the loud speakers. "All civilians report to level five immediately."

Maya stopped walking. "In thirty minutes all power will be diverted to level five, I can't go to level five without being shot in the head."

"Then we get you a suit, enough oxygen to last until the power is back on," Jasper said.

"And then what? Cage isn't going to let me live."

"Then we kill him," I said. I looked at Bellamy. "Let's get the others." We headed down the hall. "So what's the plan?"

"Clarke is outside with a grounder army, I released the grounders trapped inside. The Mountain Men are surrounded."

There was a body lying in the middle of the hall. "That's Mrs. Ryan, she was hiding the rest of you," Maya said. "They've probably taken everyone to level five, if they're not dead already."

"Then we've got to go down there," I said.

"Everyone is on level five, every soldier," Bellamy said. "That's suicide."

"I let this happen, this is my fault," I told him. "I've got to try."

"After lockdown, we won't have another chance to save them," Maya said. "It's now or never."

Before any of us could go anywhere. A door opened and Monty stepped out, he looked at us like a deer caught in the headlights. "They know about the grounders," he said. "That's why I hid. I didn't try to stop them, they killed Mrs. Ryan and they took everyone else." He looked at me. "They took Shauna."

"What do you mean they know about the grounders?" Bellamy asked.

"I heard it over a guard's walkie. They're going for the harvest chamber."

"If they take it, we lose everyone."

"We've got to go!"

We ran to the harvest chamber, there were no guards to be seen. Maya opened the door and suddenly gasped. "Dad!" She ran into the room and dropped to her knees. I looked past everyone; I could see Vincent on the ground, in a pool of blood.