31

A change of clothes, a little food, and a cup of tea with Mr. Carpenter had done wonders for my mood. I was refreshed and ready to go to Polis. I leaned against the door to Roan's cell. "Not going to hold me at gunpoint this time?" He asked.

"Sorry about your arm."

He shrugged. "You're not the one who shot me."

"True." I motioned for him to follow me. "Does it hurt?"

"I'll live."

The garage was chaotic as the rover was being loaded with gas bombs and weapons. I darted toward Raven's side to escape any more small talk with the king. "You ready?" I asked her.

She nodded. "Are you?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

"Let's load up!" Bellamy called. Bryan pushed the last crate into the rover. I hugged everyone who was staying behind, and then joined Miller and Bryan in the rover. Octavia and Roan climbed in the back with us.

Octavia slid close to me and squeezed my knee. "We're gonna kick some ass." I smiled. Things might be weird between us these days, but we'd always have each other's backs.

The drive to Polis was less than two hours. We parked the rover under tree cover and headed for the tunnels. Only Roan could walk through the front door without looking suspicious. "I need the flame," he told Clarke. "This only works if Ontari comes out to get it."

Clarke nodded reluctantly. "Fine, but I'm coming with you."

"Hold up," Bellamy said, stepping between them. "That wasn't the plan."

"It is now," Clarke said firmly.

"You'll have to look like my prisoner," Roan told her. "It's the only way they'll let you in."

"Clarke, can I talk to you for a second?" Bellamy steered Clarke away from Roan.

Roan stepped back toward the rover. "Is he always like this?" He muttered.

"Unfortunately." I took a step toward Bellamy and Clarke. "We don't have time to argue, we need to get into position." They both nodded and we split up. Clarke went with Roan, and the rest of us descended into the tunnels.

The path we followed was similar to the way we'd gone with Echo. The last time I'd been in Polis hundreds of people had died. I couldn't help but feel a little dread at being back here again.

When we emerged from under the city, it was daylight. We set up in a basement, propping open the street level windows so we could get a good view. I chose a spot between Bellamy and Octavia. Bryan and Miller knelt down as they loaded up on gas canisters. "Will we ever be done fighting?" Bryan asked quietly.

"Hell yes," Miller told him. "We're gonna build a house on a lake, and you're going to plant corn."

"And raise chickens," Bryan continued.

"Yeah, and grow old together."

I smiled sadly. Bellamy glanced over at me. I looked up at him. "I don't want to raise chickens, but the growing old part sounds nice."

"When this is all over-" He started.

"There they are," Octavia interrupted. I bit my lip and turned back toward the window. We watched as Roan announced himself. People began to stand when they noticed the flame in Roan's hand. We waited patiently for Ontari to reveal herself.

Instead, it was Jaha that stepped from the shadows. "What the hell," I whispered.

"Hold," Bellamy commanded. Unable to hear what was going on, we waited blind. Roan grabbed Clarke and held his knife to her neck. "Now!"