19

★ M A I A ★

I was sitting cross-legged on the floor of the cave. I'd folded Bellamy's uniform and was holding it in my lap. Monty came around the corner. "Where's Bellamy?"

I shrugged. "He went after Clarke."

"And you let him go?" Kane asked, coming up behind Monty.

"Please, you've met Bellamy. He really doesn't take no for an answer."

"The army's gone," Pike said. "We can move out." We gathered our things and headed back across the field in the direction we'd seen Clarke go.

Monty and I lead the way through the trees, following the trail. Finally I saw Bellamy up ahead. He was struggling to walk, leaning on trees every few steps. "Bell!" I called. I ran to catch up with him. "What happened?"

"I found her," he told me. I wrapped his arm around my shoulder and he leaned on me for support. "The bounty hunter that has her stabbed me."

"We told you to wait for the troops to move out," Kane reprimanded him. "Pike, find their trail."

"It's useless now," Pike told him. "He knows they're being followed."

"So we're just giving up?" Bellamy asked. He struggled to take a step forward and I was pulled along with him.

"Bell, stop," I told him. "You can barely walk. You need medical attention."

"We can't lose Clarke."

"I'll go," I told him. "I'll find her."

Monty came up behind me and grabbed my shoulder. "It's too dangerous. The bounty hunter will be on the lookout."

"This is my area of expertise." I looked between him and Bellamy. I was ready to pass Bellamy off to Monty and head off.

Bellamy shook his head. "No, he's right. It's too dangerous, I can't lose you either."

"We should get back to the rover before the sun goes down," Monty said. He walked around to Bellamy's other side to help me hold him up.

★ ★ ★ ★

A few days later, we received word from Polis that Clarke was there. Abby and Kane were planning to go to the coalition summit to retrieve her. Thanks to Bellamy's solo hunt for Clarke and the Jasper incident, he and I weren't invited. Instead, we were being sent to Mount Weather to take Farm Station supplies.

The morning of our trip, I awoke sweaty and breathing heavy. I climbed out of bed quickly, waking Bellamy up. "Nightmare," I mumbled before he had a chance to ask. "I'm going to go shower and start packing the rover." I started gathering my things, but Bellamy pulled me back down into bed.

He wrapped his arms around me and I leaned back against him. "Happy anniversary."

I smiled. "So are we pretending that we didn't spend over half a year separated then?"

"Yes, I like that idea," he said. "Does that mean we weren't supposed to do gifts again?"

I slid out of his arms and walked over to my dresser. I opened the top drawer and pushed aside a few shirts. I pulled out the copy of the Iliad that Shauna had found. "Obviously I didn't pick this out myself." I handed it to him. "But Shauna always has my back."

He laughed and took the book. "Well, I'm glad someone cares."

"Hey!" I snatched the book back. "If you're gonna be that way!"