14

When the doors opened, the guards filed in. "Link up, people." Shauna, Monty, Jasper, Miller, and I formed the first line. The rest of the older kids lined up behind us, and the youngest were hidden in the back.

Dr. Tsing walked past the guards and pointed out the girl she wanted from the second line. The guards reached for her and we pushed. He was shoved back a few steps, but more guards came, pulling us apart. I kicked one in the stomach, and he hit the ground. Another guard came for me, restraining my arms. I jerked my body away from him. "Stop!" He hissed, I recognized the voice immediately.

"Bell?" I whispered.

He shushed me quietly, leading me a few steps away from the chaos. "They're killing the kids," he told me. "The next time, you fight back, and you fight back hard." I felt him press something into my hands. "Use this, promise me you will."

My fingers tightened around the gun, I remembered how ready I was to kill Dante. "I will. Find Dante, he'll help us."

"Hey, everything okay over there?" Another guard called.

Bellamy squeezed my arm once. "Yeah!" He called back. He threw me hard onto the ground. The gun almost went flying out of my hands, but I managed to keep my grip. I kept my eyes on the ground, even though every part of me was screaming to look up at Bellamy, to make sure he was real.

I heard the doors close behind the guards, and I looked up. I pulled myself up, looking around the room. "Is that the best we've got?"

★ ★ ★ ★

I showed my friends the gun. "Bellamy gave me this, we have a chance."

"You sure you're going to be able to use that?" Jasper asked. "Maybe I should-"

"No," I said. "I've let these people down too many times, its time for me to make up for that."

"What about the rest of us?" Miller asked.

"We might be able to unscrew some beams from the beds," Monty said. "They're not guns, but they're better than fighting with out bare hands."

I nodded. "Shauna help him with that." I looked to Miller. "Look for anything else that can be used as a weapon. Let's try to arm as many people as we can."

Everyone split up, trying to look for something. When we were as ready as we were going to be, we formed our lines again. "What's taking Bellamy so long?" Monty asked.

"Maybe they caught him," Miller said.

"No," I snapped. "Bellamy is smarter than that."

"They're going to take someone else," Harper said.

I shook my head. "They're not taking anyone from this room. Not without a fight."

The doors opened again, we did nothing as they walked towards us. "This one," Dr. Tsing said, this time she pointed at Monty. Shauna was the first to react. She leapt from the line and swung her metal bar, hitting a guard across the face. He crumpled clutching his nose that was spewing blood. When a guard came for her, I shot him. That's when everything erupted into chaos; metal bars were being swung every which way.

I shot a few more times, but everyone was moving so quickly I had to be careful I didn't shoot one of my own people. Then the gun was knocked out of my hand and I was thrown down next to Shauna, who was clutching her arm in pain. "Take her instead," Dr. Tsing said.

"No," Jasper said, standing up in front of me. A guard shoved him to the ground, and then grabbed me, yanking me to my feet. They pulled me out of the room; I let them lead me away. They took me to the elevator, but just as the door was opening the guard holding my arms started to let go.