❀ 01

Walking out of my house without an umbrella while the sky was brewing dark, grey clouds wasn't the best idea on my part. I'd been so consumed in the idea of taking Brown on a walk that I'd miserably and stupidly failed to check the weather report or even look at the sky properly.

Whilst I'd been laying in my bed, my nose tucked in a book, a nudge on my leg distracted me. I pulled my gaze to Brown, my dog, whose tail wagged and tongue that fell out of her mouth. Her name was never creative as was my brother deciding to get a dog abruptly when he was at the mall one day, not thinking about much besides the colour of her fur.

He suffered a good reprimand from our parents when he'd brought her home but I knew that they had a soft spot for animals, specifically dogs as I've seen them secretly looking up dogs to adopt. I reached over to ruffle her fur, her big black eyes peering at me. I pushed my book aside, reaching to cuddle her only to have Brown hop off the bed.

I was a little hurt, admittedly, watching her pad out of the room. I reached for my book again to have Brown return, a leash clamped between her jaw. I raised my brows.

She wanted to go for walk.

With my brother out in college, living in a dorm building which didn't allow pets, the rooms were too small anyway, he couldn't bring her along. So, my parents shared the responsibility between us. When I was out with my friends, they'd feed him and take him on a walk. When they were out working and doing their adult things, I would do the same for them.

My parents were out on a date right now, so I succumbed to Brown's cuteness and hooked the leash on her collar. Without thinking, I breezed out of the house, locking the front door swiftly, however, in a rush as Brown was practically bouncing on her feet, ready to visit the neighbourhood park. She bounded down the pavement, her little feet moving as fast as she could, dragging me along with her.

I smiled amusedly, walking with as much brisk as I could muster without looking like a totally lunatic being dragged by something as small as Brown. I'm pretty sure Brown had the map to the park engraved in her mind already, considering the amounts of times we'd already been there.

When her feet found themselves right at the entrance of the park, the gates flat against the surrounding walls, opening and inviting Brown into dog heaven, she paused a little, gazing at the almost empty park curiously. The funny thing was, I didn't even think about the fact that it was almost deserted, save for Brown and me.

Together we waltzed in, the breeze brushing past, ruffling my hair and, when I looked at Brown, the wind mussled her brown fur as well. The park was definitely a work of art. Painted with bushes trimmed with fine care, flowers blooming in bright and alluring colours.

The pathway leading all the way from the entrance branched, winded and bent all the way further into the park, avoiding the white gazebo in the middle of it all, and winding further in. The gazebo was one of the places I usually went to sit and rest after the times that I felt athletic enough to chase and play with Brown when unhooked from her leash.

Brown was an intelligent dog, she had an impeccable memory and knew lanes, routes and directions to places she'd been to only up to two times before. She was incredibly sweet and loving, and basically a small fur-ball of excitement.

As much as my parents denied it, I could tell they loved her as much as my brother Holden and I did. They'd always try to mask their adoration, little did they know, to no avail. With Holden gone, they'd let their love for Brown explode like a bomb so much that I was pretty sure Brown herself became spoiled with it.

Aforementioned dog bounced on her feet, dragging me along to a bush filled with bright yellow primroses scattered around. She ducked her head to the lowest one and I mimicked her, but at a flower within my reach, breathing in the sweet scent of the flower.