ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᶠⁱᵛᵉ

✰  ✰  ✰

✰  ✰  ✰

EVIE AWOKE TO THE SOUND OF GROANING, HER HEAD POUNDING AND HER BODY FEELING HEAVY. Her eyes flinched opened spotting her twin brother across from her.

The twins were sporting an identical set of chains on opposite sides of the cellar. With his sister now awake, Damon decided to speak up on their situation.

"Saint Stefan isn't too happy with us," Damon spoke loudly, his tone sarcastic.

Evie noticed her ring missing and glowered down at her hand. Her body ached when she flexed her hand, her fingers popping after not being in use for three days.

At the sound of footsteps, Damon and Evie shared an annoyed expression before turning their attention towards the door to see Zachary.

"I'm full of vervain. I've been putting it in my coffee for 16 years. My blood will only make you worse. Damon? Evie?"

Damon let out a dry laugh, leaning his head back against the wall tiredly. "So it was your vervain. Good for you. Good for you. Family only runs so deep."

Zachary snarled at the vampire, his words reminding the human of his previous losses of his family because of the twins.

"We're not family, Damon. Only in the most dysfunctional sense. In fact, I avoided having a living, breathing, loving family because of you."

A smirk took over Evie's face as Zachary reminded her of her favorite pastime. Although Evie was seen as the nicer twin, it didn't bode well if you managed to place yourself on her bad side.

The girl's anger easily outweighed the anger Damon held and she became a threat to many. Both twins made it their mission to kill the remaining Salvatore family members, just in spite of Stefan.

Damon sent Zachary a grin. "I don't guess I could talk you into bringing us a rabbit or something? I'd settle for Stefan's diet at this point."

"You know I can't do that."

"You succeeded, Zach. We're shutting down. You're like your grandfather. He didn't like it when we came to visit, either." Evie smiled at the man, knowing it would upset him. She knew she was successful when the man let out a frown.

"But you don't visit, Evie. You two appear, unannounced, reminding me that this isn't my house; that you're just permitting me to live here. Hell, that you're permitting me to live."

"Someone had to mow the lawn," Damon joked.

"I came to say good-bye."