IV

Episode 4:
IT WILL PASS BY

Episode 4:IT WILL PASS BY

May 7th, 1997

THE THOUGHT THAT he was living a hellish kind of life never escaped Min Yoongi's mind once. From the dark half-circles that lay under his eyes, his pale complexion, and lethargic behaviour—one could tell right away that the third year medical student was in extreme need of rest. Weeks had gone by in stillness since that day at the basketball court; as time progressed, the midterm exams drew closer and the weather in the city became more and more sultry.

As usual, Min Yoongi had spent another one of those days in the study room. In there, he would find himself studying intensely until he lost track of time and his ass hurt from sitting on the same spot all day. The twenty two year old pushed his chair back and  began to stretch his neck and limbs; he then released a sigh of relief afterwards. Yoongi took a quick glance at the clock sitting on the wall across him; he struggled to decipher the time as his surroundings were dim. After what seemed like an eternity, he was finally able to read it—it was 9:49 PM. He hadn't realized it was already so late.  A slight feeling of anxiety flooded the male before he finally began to pack his study utensils and placed them inside his duffel bag as quietly as he could to not disturb the other students. He walked in between rows of study desks occupied by high schoolers and other adults. By the time Yoongi escaped the room, the person on the front desk bid him goodbye and then he left the building.

Since the boarding house was near the university, as well as the study room, it didn't take a long time for Yoongi to arrive home. After a seven-minute bus ride, the male crossed the street, took a right turn and found himself following an old trail where it eventually led him in front of the Yoon household. As Yoongi pushed open the boarding house gate and entered the front yard, the scent of smoke and grilled meat immediately filled his nose. He could hear the distinct voices of the tenants, especially Pureom and Jimin on the rooftop deck. Ever since the female's coming out, the tenants had gotten a little closer to each other; they were often seen  hanging out and having a drinking party together. Due to his jam-packed schedule, Yoongi usually didn't have enough time to join them.

Yoongi entered the house through the front door and caught sight of the married couple watching Yoo Jae Suk's variety show on TV. Mrs. Yoon was sitting on the couch with her spouse's head on her lap; they looked peaceful. He politely greeted them before passing by from behind.

"Oh, Yoongi-ah," Mrs. Yoon suddenly called while playing with her husband's hair. "The boys are on the top drinking with Pureom and Seora, by the way. You should go join them."

"Yes, Auntie. I'll go wash up first," replied Yoongi. Before he could reach the staircase, he heard the landlady call his name once again. "What is it?" He asked.

"Your mother called me just a few hours ago."

"What?"

"She said you weren't answering so she called me instead. We talked on the phone."