X (ii)

Chapter 10 - Part Two:
BOOZE, CHAOS, AND OTHER THINGS

     THE CAMPUS UNFOLDED before them like a storybook as the five students meandered down Baekyang Road

THE CAMPUS UNFOLDED before them like a storybook as the five students meandered down Baekyang Road. Laughter echoed around the vibrant student booths, where the collective energy of the university departments and clubs manifested in activities like the dart balloon game, basketball shoot, and the spirited punching machine challenge, and many more.

As they continued their exploration, the canopy restaurants dotting the campus fields revealed themselves as hidden gems. Amid the sea of options, the Music Department's diner stood out, offering a speed dating event. However, it was the College of Medicine's pojangmacha that captured the essence of the evening. Here, under the glow of string lights, visitors not only savoured drinks but indulged in Korean street food, sharing laughter and stories.

Wonwoo and Jaehyun engaged in an exhilarating duel on the electronic basketball machine game hosted by the Department of Physical Education. The initial thunderous applause erupted as Wonwoo swiftly secured the first point, prompting an enthusiastic cheer from Yoo Rin. However, Jaehyun, fueled by determination, wasn't about to concede defeat to his team captain without a fierce fight.As Min Hee and Solbitna observed with bated breath, Jaehyun unleashed an impressive display of skill, sinking five consecutive shots. Unfazed, Wonwoo responded with an awe-inspiring showcase, effortlessly netting six more baskets. The tension in the air escalated as the timer ticked down, and the scoreboard ultimately declared Jeon Wonwoo the triumphant winner. Yoo Rin's cheers reached new heights. Then, an eager booth assistant guided the victorious eighteen-year-old to a table adorned with enticing prizes. Wonwoo, with a triumphant smile, carefully selected his reward—a Dooly plush doll—from the array of tempting options, which he handed to Yoo Rin right after.

"They like each other too much. It's actually becoming an eyesore." Min Hee mumbled, watching Yoo Rin accept the plush doll and cradle it in a heartfelt embrace. Her words were laced with a playful blend of teasing and a hint of envy.

"My thoughts exactly." Solbitna chuckled at Min Hee's jest.

Subsequently, the quintet of students transitioned to other games. Jaehyun notched up thirty points higher on the punching machine than Wonwoo, while Min Hee and Yoo Rin deftly looped rings over the glass bottles in the ring toss game. When Solbitna, feeling a bit unsure of her skills, decided to join the quartet on the dart balloon game, she unexpectedly emerged as the champion in bursting the most balloons. The sight of a pack of six large peaches on the prize table instantly caught her attention, and without hesitation, she chose it as her well-deserved reward.

"Why peaches?" Hwang Yoo Rin inquired when Solbitna returned to the group.

Her eyes sparkled with childlike enthusiasm as she cradled the box of fruit. "They're my favourite."

The sun had began to set as they wrapped up the carnival games. Their next destination was Cheongseongdae Park, a small forest located within the campus. Song Min Hee's quick rapport with Jeon Wonwoo and Jeong Jaehyun surprised everyone. At school, Min Hee had been enveloped in an image of a diligent, reserved, and compliant teenager—the kind that were adored by fathers and teachers. Yet, beyond the classroom, a lively and sociable side of her personality had flourished.