XIIII

Episode 14:
BETWEEN THE SUNSET
AND THE SILENCE

Episode 14:BETWEEN THE SUNSET AND THE SILENCE

June 20, 1997
5:00 PM

     YOON SOLBITNA BUBBLED with excitement at the thought of seeing Jeon Jung Hyeok again. Just days prior, she had eagerly shared the news of Chaoreum's new location with Hwang Yoo Rin, mentioning it was the very same restaurant they visited in Apgujeong, where she had first met Jaehyun and Wonwoo. Yoo Rin's reaction was nothing short of jubilant; she promptly invited Solbitna to the grand opening. And so, here Solbitna stood, outside the restaurant, clad in her short overalls and crisp white sneakers.

The second location of Chaoreum was conveniently close to the boarding house. It was just nestled in the corner of the bustling main street. After strolling through the cramped alley for a good five minutes, the restaurant was the first thing that Solbitna caught sight of.

The weather was comfortably mild, which made waiting outside bearable even though Yoo Rin was running late. Inside, the atmosphere buzzed with activity. Ahead of Solbitna, a line of eager customers, predominantly young adults, stretched out, with even more milling behind her. After an impatient ten-minute wait, Yoo Rin finally made her entrance. The crowd queued with Solbitna collectively turned their heads as Hwang Yoo Rin popped out from the luxurious white Jaguar, a sight that left them in awe. The Seodaemun District, home to Sinchon, lacked the opulence typically associated with areas like Gangnam in Seoul. Therefore, the sight of Yoo Rin emerging from such an extravagant car naturally captured the attention of everyone nearby.

     "Sorry I'm late," Yoo Rin apologized to Solbitna as she approached, her expression slightly flustered. "The traffic at Hannam Bridge was a nightmare."

     "It's fine, it's been slow here too." Solbitna replied, pulling Yoo Rin close as they continued to wait in line, exchanging updates on their mundane lives. Min Hee was supposed to be with them today, but something suddenly came up at home, hence her absence. Aside from Solbitna's encounter with her attractive new neighbour, there wasn't much excitement to report; each day seemed to blend into the next with monotony. As for Yoo Rin, since the festival had ended, she hadn't mentioned much about Wonwoo or Jaehyun. Solbitna couldn't help but wonder what might have transpired between them.

     "So how's your boy doing?" Solbitna asked at last, noticing the line inching closer to entry.

     "Busy," Yoo Rin responded, her fingers idly tracing the hem of her blouse, a hint of sadness crossing her features at the mention of him. "It's baseball season, so he and his teammates are training day and night."

     "Oh," Solbitna murmured sympathetically.

     "They have weekly games against other high schools, and there's the Bonghwang tournament in August too. I really miss him."