II

Episode 2:
SEMBLANCE

April 19, 1997Saturday, 9:46 AMSinchon Boarding House

April 19, 1997
Saturday, 9:46 AM
Sinchon Boarding House

SOLBITNA NOTICED SOFT light seeping through the corners of the drawn lilac drapery when she rolled to her side and slightly opened her eyes. Outside the bedroom, she could hear the continuous banging on the door as a familiar male voice repeatedly announced, "Hey, Sol! Wake up, it's time for breakfast!"

At this, Solbitna grew more and more frustrated. She wanted the male to stop therefore she quickly rose up from her bed and staggered her way to the door. She flung it open: "Okay, I get it! Can you shut up, now?! Jesus—you're so..."

Jimin flinched at her suddenness and found himself gasping at the sight of her disheveled hair and the dry drool on the sides of her mouth.

"Alright, I'm sorry. There's no need to be so feisty in the morning. Go fix yourself up and join us downstairs." Jimin calmly responded and turned away from the seventeen year old. He was heading for the stairs when he suddenly came to an abrupt halt. "Oh, and make sure to look cute. Kang Pureom just arrived."

"Already? Why is she so early?" Solbitna questioned but Jimin didn't seem to hear this as he was already climbing down the stairs. The girl shut the door and mumbled to herself, "Ugh, I wish I could sleep more."

After washing her face, changing into a new set of clothes and brushing her bob hair, Solbitna rushed down to the dining area to see all the commotion about Pureom. At her arrival, she noticed that everyone had already began breakfast. Solbitna quickly positioned herself in a chair beside Seora; she observed the others around the table before she finally landed her gaze on Kang Pureom who sat at the far side of the table right beside Seung Ho.

"You're late." Solbitna heard her father comment coldly which caused her to remove her curious gaze on the new tenant and shift her eyes towards him.

"It's because I was up studying last night so I slept in." Solbitna explained coolly.

Mr. Yoon set his utensils down, "Oh, really?"

Something about the way he looked while saying it made Solbitna think that her father was doubting her. Nevertheless, she let a small chuckle escape her. "Yeah, obviously," she uttered. "You'll be surprised to hear that I'm on top of the class from all the studying I do these days."

"You're being too cocky, Sol." Yoongi interjected with a laugh as he reached for an egg roll.

"I'm not," Solbitna deadpanned. "I'm saying it because I will be on top. I'll prove it."

Jimin and Taehyung made a brief eye contact with each other as if they were telepathically ridiculing the minor's conceited words.

"Enough with the nonsense, Sol," Mr. Yoon uttered in a cold tone. "You've been saying the same thing for three years but not once did you ever succeed. Take a look at your older sister. She's well-behaved...quiet—"