VI

Episode 6
NOSTALGIA

     WHILE TWENTY TWO YEAR OLD Min Yoongi waited patiently outside of Jung Hoseok's home—for no particular reason—he began to recall his first few nights in Seoul, in his four-hundred square feet motel room

WHILE TWENTY TWO YEAR OLD Min Yoongi waited patiently outside of Jung Hoseok's home—for no particular reason—he began to recall his first few nights in Seoul, in his four-hundred square feet motel room. Looking back at it, Yoongi would describe those times as a "passionate" experience. Every night, sounds of sex resonated all over his bedroom; therefore, nights became revoltingly sleepless for the young male. As Yoongi's symptoms of insomnia worsened, he took comfort in doing particularly nothing. It consisted of him sitting at the edge of the bed facing the window, and submerging himself into his thoughts. Some nights, he'd just sit still, listening to the intense sounds of lovemaking play in the background, and feel all the emotions at once even with a stolid expression. On other nights, he'd cry out of frustration and deep loneliness until the tears stopped running. Even this feels exhausting, Yoongi thought as wiped his wet cheeks with his sleeve. He lived like this every day that late winter in the year of 1994. He was only eighteen—a runaway failure.

The time read 2:38 AM on Min Yoongi's wrist watch and still,  no signs of Hoseok being home were seen. The twenty two year old stood up on his feet again and turned around to check any indication of light in one of the rooms of the house. There were none. Jung Hoseok never slept with all the lights turned off due to his nyctophobia (he'd always leave a lamp on). With all the lights off, it either meant that he was still outside at this hour or that he finally overcame his fear of the dark.

A sigh escaped Yoongi's lips as his attention shifted towards the moon, pondering to himself whether he should wait or just return home.

He decided to keep waiting.

Another ten minutes went on with Min Yoongi just feeling nostalgic of his past. Actually, no—he wouldn't refer to it as "feeling nostalgic" because he's aware that the term nostalgia only applies to positive memories of past events. Considering the trauma he went through as a teenager, it's almost impossible for him to be feeling nostalgic about his terrible past. Thinking about it now, Yoongi has never heard of a specific connotation that describes recalling negative memories. It can't be nostalgia, nor reminisce because those two words are synonymous.

     "Maybe," Yoongi mindlessly blurted, "negative nostalgia works."

     "What does?"

     "Negative nos—"

Yoongi was too absorbed in his own thoughts to notice Jung Hoseok's presence behind him.

     "Hyung," The twenty one year old said, sounding almost out of breath. Hoseok was clad in black straight leg jeans and he wore a white tank underneath a linen unbuttoned button-down. A silver chain hung around his neck and the tiny spark of excitement in his eyes was concealed by the pair of sunglasses he wore. His scent was a mixture of his usual cologne, cigarettes and alcohol.