I can still remember my father's wailing screams from my upstairs bedroom. The doctors had told us the cause was a heart attack, but this was impossible to believe when the mother you'd known was perfectly healthy and had no family history of heart complications. I took a deep breath and brought my attention back to the present.

"Where are you?"

The planchette was motionless for a few moments, then started its dance across the board.

D-E-A-T-H.

I don't know what I'd expected her to respond. I didn't necessarily believe heaven or hell existed, but I'd hoped for some kind of enlightenment other than the answer she'd provided.

"Do you miss me?" I asked, ignoring the pity stares of those around me.

Y-E-S.

If this truly was my mother, then it was the one opportunity I'd have to ask the one question that lingered on my mind, as well as my father's, since her death.

"How did you die?"

The planchette shook and started to crawl across the board.

H –

It shook more violently and threw itself off its course, as if something was preventing the spirit from communicating with us.

A –

A cold chill ran down my neck and spine. My eyes were glued to the board, to the question I'd spent so much time pondering.

D –

A howl of wind moved through the graveyard, whipping my hair forwards. I briefly heard the mumbled concerns of the others, but I was stuck in the trance, unable to move my gaze from the planchette.

"Uh, guys?" Dani interjected, her voice quivering. "Do you feel that?"

"The cold? Yeah, I feel it too," said Tom, shivers racking his body.

I wasn't concentrating on the cold – I was too focused on the board, waiting for the answer I so desperately needed. But something seemed to have become too much for the spirit: the planchette wasn't moving anywhere. Instead, it vibrated unsteadily on its spot.

"What do we do?" Dani asked.

"Keep your finger on the board!" Sarah instructed.

"I don't want to play anymore..."

"Don't move!"

Something from within the board was calling me, beckoning me to maintain eye contact. It sounded like a siren's call, ringing loud and clear. Beautiful. I leaned closer.

The siren's call echoed louder. I could see its sound waves pulsating through the vibrations of the planchette. No one else was stuck in the entranced state I was. It was clear; the spirit's calls were for me.

Someone was sobbing uncontrollably.

"That's it, I'm out!"

"Don't–"

Chaos broke out. The wind picked up with such a ferocity the others' cries were muffled. The surrounding trees billowed from side to side, their branches breaking off and flying aloof. I vaguely wondered how the board hadn't blown away. The light from the candles snuffed out, immersing us half in darkness. The only light remaining emanated from the lanterns. But they, too, dipped in and out. Something within them fizzed, giving out a steady stream of smoke. Their light globes exploded, showering us in glass from all directions.

Many of the girls squealed. The glass grazing my skin cut me out of my trance, bringing me back to reality. It felt like I'd broken the surface of the ocean and now that I had, I could see everyone's panic with clarity. My head was clear – there was no siren, no beckoning.