Chapter 18

MALLORY'S HEART SANK TO HER WAIST when Jason Trevor stood by her side. She tried turning in the opposite direction, but her body stayed put, unresponsive. It was as though Jason was magnetizing her to him. But it took just a second for his magnet to wear off. 

"Mallory, wait!" He took ahold of her sweater

Mallory shut her eyes and swallowed hard. She wanted to smack him hard, to assert herself and make him aware of how angry she was. But somehow, staring into his handsome face, she couldn't bring herself to do any of those things. The sad glint in his soft hazel eyes transported her back to last night, to the sliver of humanity she'd seen in him, to his laughs, and his intoxicating smiles. She let out a sigh, her anger wearing off as quickly as it came.

Mallory yanked her sweater back. "Can I help you?"

Jason opened his mouth to speak, but suddenly short of words, shut it back. He licked his lips and dug his hands into his pockets, seeming to be in a conversation with the reflections that grazed past the polished floors. Then, slowly, Mallory understood. It was blatant, the struggle he was having with himself. How hard it was for him to say the simple words, 'I'm sorry!

She peered at her watch. "Look, I haven't got all day to spend here, if you have nothing to say—"

"I'm sorry okay," he cut in,  the words, 'I'm sorry, a speedy expulsion. 

Mallory shot him a sardonic smile. "Apology accepted. Now may I leave?"

"Where to?" He looked up at her.

"I've got Dance practice with Eric."

"The bean pie dude you were just speaking with?" The genteel in his demeanour suddenly disappeared and returning, was his usual air of indifference. A sly smirk formed at the side of his mouth. 

Mallory rolled her eyes. "I don't know any 'bean pie dude' Jason. But if it's Eric you're talking about, then yes."

Jason sighed and took her hand. Mallory smiled to herself. Who would have known that Jason Trevor wasn't just a terrific singer and dancer, but he was also a talented actor, a master of disguise. He could pull off wearing different masks, and not be caught. But Mallory was no fool. She could see right through him, could see right through his falsehood, how he switched faces back and fought, and just in a bid to get what he wanted. Her forgiveness. She yanked her hand from his. Not so easily. 

"I'm sorry, Mallory." He rubbed his scruff. "For last night. I don't know why I said the things I did—"

"It's because you're an idiot, Jason. I mean, you're the most indecisive person I've ever met. One time you're all smiles with me, and the next you're ready to drop me off at the next bus stop? Look me in my eyes and tell me I'm a joke to you. Do you think I'm like your other fangirls, that I'd be willing to push aside all my emotions in order to get your stupid approval. Let me make it clear if it wasn't, I'm not, and I never will be one of those stupid girls. Frankly, you hurt me that day and—" Mallory drew in a sharp breath— "and I'm not willing to go through that kind of thing ever again."

Jason took a step closer to her. "You won't."

"How assuring."

"I'm serious, Mal. I didn't mean what I said that night. Not a single word. It's just," he rubbed his scruff,  "Just..."

"Just what?"

"Never mind," He looked away. "What I mean to say is I had fun last night, more than I'd ever in a long while. "And whether or not you're willing to admit it, you had fun too."

Mallory breathed hard through her nose. He was right. Somehow she found it easy to be herself around him. Carefree and without the usual pressure she felt to put on a front. In fact, if there was a way she could, she would pay to relive that night again.

"Is that all you have to say?" Mallory pushed her chin outwards. She wasn't going to give in to his apology so easily. Cole had always warned her to put on her defences around boys, as they could do practically anything to get what they wanted. Besides, this was Jason Trevor, the famous starlight star. Why was he concerning himself with her? What was in it for him?

"You're still mad at me?" Jason's shoulders drooped.

Mallory's silence answered.

"Fine. But if you ever need anything—" he popped the cap of his pen and scribbled on her hand — "here's my number."

Mallory watched as he scribbled. "I didn't even ask for it."

"I'm sure you'd need it soon."

Mallory rose her brows. "Excuse me?"

"I have a crazy ex-girlfirend on the loose, Mal. She's going to come after you. You'll need me if she does."

Before Mallory could ask any further questions, Jason was out of her sight. She stared at her hand and then back at him, and tried to act like she wasn't happy he'd broken up with Diana Gilbert.  

****

DIANA GILBERT was sure of it. Her hatred for Mallory could set the entire world up in flames. She'd known it right from the first time she set her eyes on the moron, that she was sent to sabotage everything she'd worked hard for. Diana cursed as she watched Jason walk away from Mallory. The whore wasn't even afraid to hide her feelings for him.  Diana clenched her fist. If she could just walk over there and knock that stupid smile off her face.

Careful there, Diana warned herself, there's a time for everything. There was especially a time to unload her wrath upon the ignorant fool. And that wasn't now, at least. Now she needed to focus. The third stage of the audition was in three days, and she had no time for irrelevancies. Here, standing in front of her was Brian Elliott, that is, if she heard his name right. He was a fine work of art, with muscles protruding in all the right places. She could partner up with him alright. But it would take a lot of grit to get accustomed to any partner that wasn't Jason Trevor.

Diana's fury returned. She still couldn't believe Trevor had the audacity to break up with her, after all they shared. He couldn't just push her out of his life that. They'd known each other since their childhood!  No, he was probably just going through a phase. He would be back. HE would come back on his knees pleading for her forgiveness. There was no denying that he needed her. He always had.

But something about the way he'd stared at Mallory Trent grated on her nerves, the way he kept on reaching for her hand, the somberness in his eyes as he spoke to her.  But why should she care? She never had any cause to worry about Jason's fidelity. She trusted him. But now, for the first time in her life, she was burdened by fear, the fear of losing him.

And the fear of the hag herself, Mallory Trent. Diana wondered how someone as amateur and lousy as her could have made it to this point of the competition. William was usually strict in his judgement of participants, but Trent was definitely an exception. A big one. She played the violin with the carefreeness of a five-year-old, wielded the instrument as though it were nothing significant, with a carelessness that was appalling. There was something particularly unprofessional about her playing, the little dancing she slipped in here and there amidst performances, her absent-mindedness and unconventionality. No, she was no violinist. She was a joke, just another dreamer who thought she could steal her spotlight, and Diana couldn't deny the fact that she was already stealing it. She had been since the first day of auditions. But no more!

She had a family to make proud, a legacy to live, a prize to win—and yes, how could she forget—a boyfriend to steal back. Diana clenched her fist, brimming with a confidence she hadn't experienced before, fueled by the sudden boldness she found in her hatred for Mallory Trent. Who knew hatred could work in her favour?

"Watch your back, Trent." She smiled to herself. "Because in a couple of days, you won't know what hit you."