Chapter 14

NONE OF THEM UTTERED A WORD throughout the drive to Mallory's house. This silence was unexpected, especially after how much they'd bonded today. But Mallory sensed that he was ashamed that the paparazzi had caught him with her. She bet he would have been smiling if they caught him red-handed with some gorgeous magazine model, or perhaps even Diana!

But not to make sudden judgments though, she asked, "Jason, are you okay?"

"Are you seriously asking me that question?" He shot her a look that made her want to bounce right out of the car.

Mallory sighed. "Look—"

"No you look," he spat. "What do you think we are? We're nothing Mallory Trent, so don't create some shady idea about what happened back there in your mind. I had a primary job to keep you from the spotlight, and I failed, all because of you and your stupid desire to go to the mall."

Unbelievable. He was blaming her for what had happened. But the most hurtful part of it all was that she was nothing to him but an object that was meant to be looked after. A task. For a minute back there, Mallory thought she'd made an actual friend in Jason. He was all nice then, but now—

"Listen I'll pay you to keep your mouth shut about this night," he said, the intended bite in tone all glaring.

Mouth quivering, eyes filling, Mallory yelled, "you know what, you can keep your filthy money. I wasn't intending to remember anyway. You're just a selfish prick."

For a minute, Jason looked like he was in shock.

Mallory wiped tears from her eyes and jumped out of the car, making sure to slam the door on his face.

Mallory faced the entrance of her house. She leaned her head on the door, certain that her dad would be sitting on the recliner, awaiting her with a sourpuss look etched onto his face. She just wasn't in the right state of mind to face that. But she never would be. They hadn't fought like that before.

God help me.

She pushed the door open, darkness welcoming her. At least that was better than having her father welcome her.

Cutting her hopes shut, a sudden light jutted from the blues, imbuing the darkness with a luminous white that took Mallory aback.

"You're home."

The familiarity ringing in the gravelly voice unnerved her.

Grudgingly, she slowly turned towards the man she wished so desperately to avoid after such a long, exhausting day. And there Cole was, cross-legged in his chair, spinning it around with an exuberance resembling that of a child thrilling the experiencing of his favourite ride. A dark shadow cast itself underneath Cole's baggy eyes.

Mallory strode towards him. "Dad, I didn't expect you to be up so late."

"I didn't expect anything you did today Mal." Cole retorted, springing up from his recliner with an agility that betrayed his age. "Where were you?"

Yes, that was the question, the one that whirred in her head like a turbulent, ferocious storm, stealing her peace along with her sanity. What would she tell him? That she ran away with a selfish Starlight star called Jason?  She'd attempted crafting the answer to the question for hours but to no avail. None of the answers was plausible, and at this point, all she could come up with was—

"I was over at a friend's house," Mallory said, biting her lips, it was self-punishment for spewing out such folly at a time when wisdom was required. Mallory herself was aware of the fact that she had no friends, her highly reclusive personality shunned them all away. And if she knew that herself, how much more her father who's knowledge of her far surpassed her own knowledge of herself?