I had to stop. I needed to calm down. "Shhh princess, it's alright. Whenever you're ready."

"When we heard it was like everything came crashing down around us. Sam lost it. He blamed himself. He kept playing different situations. If he had stayed with Vanessa he would have been able to protect Alexis. If we weren't in the hospital. Anything he could think of. He just blamed himself.
I watched the pain and guilt eat him alive. I watched love destroy him. Eventually he couldn't take it anymore. He left a note saying how he loved us so much but he had to be with his little angel. That was his final goodbye. It was a normal day until the officer knocked on the door. The note in his hand and the look in his eyes said it all.
I lost all faith in love and vowed never to let anyone in. Never to let anyone get that close. That was the day I lost a brother, the day I lost the last bit of my niece and the day I joined the Marines."

I hadn't even noticed that I was crying. My tears soaking his shirt. Luke didn't seem to care. He just kept me close.

Neither of us said anything. Allowing the sound of the leaves rustling in the wind to over take us.
I've never told anyone all of this. No one. My parents know what happened but they don't know how deep the wounds run. I never talk about feelings or emotions and my go to phrase is 'i'm fine'. So for me to tell him all this is huge and for some reason I feel safe. I hope this won't turn out to be a mistake.

"I love you so much princess. I'll spend my entire life trying to make it up to you. You told me that you're broken, you have all the pieces and I love puzzles. Together, we can put build you back up but i'll always be here in case you fall. Don't let what happened to your brother be your experience of love. Let me show you true love. Just please don't give up on us because of the past."

I closed my eyes and I felt his lips press against the top of my head. "I won't"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we got back to the house my mum had the dinner on the table for us. It was steak, veg and chips.

I was washing the dishes when Luke's arms snaked around my waist and he was pressed flush against my back. In between little kisses he whispered
"I love you".
I could feel my cheeks heating up and the butterflies were fluttering in my stomach. He's a real softy. He's my softy.

There was a cough and I just wanted the floor to swallow me whole. I'm never going to live this down and Luke might not live after this. We both turned around and I refused to make eye contact.

"Alex you'll be sleeping in your room and Luke you're sleeping on the couch. It's late and you have a big day tomorrow so lights out in 5"

Yes my dad just called bedtime. When he says lights out it's lights out.

We walked into the front room and there's blankets and pillows creating a make shift bed on the couch for Luke. I noticed an extra set of clothes for tomorrow.
"Um I guess you can sleep in your boxers. My room is up the stairs, the first on on the right. Just to warn you we'll all be up about 6am. Anyway goodnight"

I left him get ready for bed while I went to my room. I brushed my hair, washed my face and got changed into my PJ's. I climbed into bed and stared at the ceiling. No matter how much I tried I couldn't sleep.

I can't take it anymore. I got up and my bare feet padded against the carpet. The door creaked as I opened it. Quietly but quickly I made my way down the stairs. You'd think this would be easy but not with a house full of military personal and a werewolf.

Every few steps I had to stop just to make sure no one was up.

When I reached the front room I saw Luke's large frame sprawled across the small couch. One arm behind his head and the other hanging off the couch. I was expecting him to be asleep but his eyes were wide open and he was just staring at a blank wall.