Merry christmas

I was right it was a long night. Luke became my personal slave and if 'sorry' was a form of currency, i'd be a millionaire. The pack doctor was called and my ribs were tended to. There's nothing he could do about my lip but I knew that anyway. Sandra cleaned it up as best she could. It has to heal itself.

At first I was restricted to the couch but after ten minutes I got sick of not being able to move. I couldn't even lean over to reach my glass off the coffee table. I felt like a baby, someone was constantly watching me. I then tried to decorate the tree but could only decorate at my height. Stretching or crouching was not an option which I learned the hard way. So I spent Christmas Eve in the kitchen following the instructions of a stressed out Sandra. My hair was in a messy bun and my apron covered in various ingredients. I didn't know half of what I was making but I realised it wasn't a good time to ask. So I carefully listened and executed her recipes to a T. Just praying that I wouldn't give anyone food poisoning.

It was a big jump from how i've spent previous Christmases. I always had a sense of family but this is different. This is like the family Christmases you see on TV and in movies. It's a stereotypical American meal, bigger and better. I tried to suppress the feeling of isolation. These last few days there's a little voice in the back of my mind telling me I don't belong. I've never had a proper family Christmas. I'm out of my comfort zone. Despite their best efforts and constant reassuring their words fell on deaf ears. Of course I never let any of this show. I put on a brave face. A fake smile can hide so much and fool so many.

I see no need to broadcast my insecurities and doubt. Family life has always been a sensitive topic. I guess you can't miss what you never had but being here it shows me what I missed out on. I don't resent my parents for choosing the military because that's what got me here today. But I will not deny that there is that little part of me that wishes we could have had family barbecue's, been together as a family every holiday and birthday. A part of me that wishes we could have had a white picket fence and a mini van......Not literally but just be your everyday typical family. The things most people take for granted like home cooked meals most nights.

After a long days work we called it a night. The house had been transformed into a winter wonderland. Who knew preparing for christmas could be this difficult. It should be a sport. You should get warning to train for this.

At 11pm I crawled into bed, hair still in a messy bun and flour on my pants. A few minutes later I heard the door open. It was Luke, my face was buried in the pillow and I was sprawled out on the bed like a starfish so I depended on my hearing. I've become accustom to his footsteps. He's heavier on his right foot due to an old injury. He walks with conviction, almost slamming his heel on the floor with each step. Knowing it was him I refused to move, i'm good here. I heard him chuckle
"you know you're fully dressed right?"
I attempted to be sassy with my reply but my words drowned in the cushiony softness of the pillow so instead it came out as a mumble.

Seconds later I was shifted. Instead of the pillow I previously had, I now had Luke's large frame. There's no point fighting it so as my training taught me, sleep only when you need it and right now I need it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why is it so bright at 6am? I got out of bed slightly disorientated. The sheets are very flat for hiding a 6ft3 giant. After debating with myself I just said fuck it and jumped on the bed. I landed on nothing but linen. Well this is peculiar. It's a Christmas miracle, Luke is up before 11am.

Walking into the bathroom it seems i'd be better suited to Halloween then Christmas. I was about to throw on a random outfit when a mall box caught my attention on the now made bed. I froze, I wasn't in the bathroom that long....was I? Shower 12 minutes. Washing my face 3 minutes. Brushing my teeth 2 minutes. Plus 3 minutes for dawdling. I was only in the bathroom 20 minutes in total. They were quiet and they were quick.