chapter sixteen // the coffee house.

Start from the beginning

"Where are we off to tonight?" I ask once she passes both of our cars parked against the curb outside the record store.

"They're having open mic night at The Rosery, I figured we could give it a go like we used to," She suggests, speaking of our favorite coffee house only a few blocks away from the record store.

I smile, the idea sounding more than perfect. Tea and I have been singing together since we were little girls watching The Little Mermaid. You wouldn't think our different taste in music and different voice types would work together, but they surprisingly do. We'd go to The Rosery every couple weeks for their open mic nights and sing a few songs together.

When we enter the doors of the dimly-lit coffee house a strong feeling of 'home' overcomes me. I see a few familiar faces; a few behind the counter, a few seated in the wooden booths. I give them all a polite wave.

Tea and I take a seat in our favorite booth towards the back, surprised that it was left open. When you sat in this booth you got a great view of downtown LA. Plus it was far enough away from the small stage that you could have a decent conversation with the person sitting across from you without having to shout.

"Hey Tea and Olivia, my two favorite girls," Charlie, the owner of the coffee house comes over and sets two nice cups of chocolate milk in front of us - what we've always ordered here since we were ten years old when we used to come with our parents.

"How's it been Charlie?" Tea asks, giving him their usual handshake that looks like it was invented by a four year old.

"Business has been great! Summer always treats us well," He smiles, the wrinkles in the corners of his eyes making an appearance, "Are we going to be blessed with the voices of you two angels this evening?" He asks, making my cheeks turn a light pink, but Tea takes the compliment with stride.

"If you'll allow us to, then of course," I smile gratefully at him.

Charlie opens his mouth to say something but gets interrupted by a young girl, probably in her mid-teens, approaching our table and speaking rather loudly,

"Oh my god! You're Olivia Watson, Harry Style's girlfriend, aren't you?" She asks me.

Panic fills my insides as people from the surrounding tables perk up and listen into our conversation. Whenever famous people are brought up, people become crazy.

"Shh!" I hiss at her, trying to not cause a scene. I had hoped to come here and enjoy my time with Tea as we used to and I know that won't happen if people are coming up to me ever few seconds, "Yes I am, but I'm trying to have a quiet evening, so if you could keep it down, that'd be amazing," I speak quietly to the girl, being as polite as possible.

The girl nods, understanding, she looks around as if she were dealing with something top secret. Tea smirks at me and Charlie simply moves out of the girl's way.

"Would it be too much to ask for a picture?" She asks in a hushed whisper.

A picture? With me? But I haven't even done anything? The One Direction fans are really quite odd. I can't think of any other girlfriends of famous people are approached like this.

"Sure?" I respond, but it came out like a question. Tea chuckles quietly, obviously finding my discomfort with this fame funny.

The girl scoots in the booth beside me and hands her phone to Tea, who snaps a picture of me and the girl. I hope I don't look like too much of a freak.

"Thank you so much," She smiles, putting her phone away, "I just have to say you're really pretty and really nice and you deserve to be with Harry," She says extremely quickly, all her word forming together into one word.