chapter forty // blame it on the rain.

Olivia's POV

Tea and I sit on the floor of Stuart's living room, taking a look at our demo sample. The corners of my lips turn up as I look at the picture of the two of us - looking a complete mess - giving the camera a cheeky, mischievous grin. It was a perfect demo cover for us.

I can feel Ed's eyes on the back of my head as I keep myself occupied, fumbling with the CD cases. Out of the corner of my eye I can see Tea's concerned brown eyes focused on me as well.

"Are you sure you don't mind, Olly? I don't have to go," Ed speaks over the soft buzz of the TV.

I turn to look up at my ginger haired friend, who looks down at me with utter conflict. His eyebrows are pushed together, pairing with his deep frown.

He's dressed up - well, in what Ed considers dressed up; a new sweatshirt and a clean pair of jeans - and ready to head out. Of course, Tea being the nosey one she is, asked where he was off to in such a hurry. He stuttered a bit before spitting it out.

Of course... Tonight's the big night for One Direction. They're performing their new album for the media before finishing up their tour. Harry had told me all about it before...

"Don't be stupid, go ahead," I scoff, but avoid looking him directly in the eye.

After Liam and Niall showed up at Tea's house, I thought I'd be able to make a solid decision, or at least have a handle on my emotions. But unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to be normal for once... If anything, it just made me more frustrated with myself.

I can feel the pain making an appearance on my face as I furrow my eyebrows, biting my bottom lip until I can taste a faint tint of blood on my tongue.

"I'm staying," Ed shakes his head, flopping down on the couch next to Stuart, who isn't paying any of us any attention. He's too focused on whatever soccer games on tonight.

My eyes dart up to meet Ed's stubborn and concerned ones. My frown deepens. Who am I to stop him from going out to support his friend? Him and Harry have been friends much longer than I've known either of them. To let mine and Harry's problem affect his life would just be silly.

But I know I'd probably do the same thing... What is it with the masochistic ways of humans? Why can't we ever do something to make ourselves happy?

Ed starts to kick off his shoes, getting himself comfortable, but I rush over to his feet, shoving his shoes back on. He shoots me a look, one reserved for the especially mad people.

"No, you're going," I state, stubborn as always; some things never change, no matter what happens.

Stuart drifts his eyes over in my direction, giving me a concerned look. I'm sure he thinks I'm loonier than a serial killer; this is all he's known of me. He's never seen me act normal. I can't even remember the last time I felt normal.

Normal just doesn't belong to me anymore, I guess.

"Olive, I don't want to go," Ed lies right through his teeth, making me roll my eyes.

"Edward, if you don't go, I'll pee on everything you own," I narrow my eyes and threaten him.

His eyes widen, being taken back by my comment. I hear both Stuart and Tea chortle with laughter. The tingles deep in my stomach come back. Wow, it's been a long time since I've made anyone laugh. I used to be so good at that...

"You're insane," Ed grins, shaking his head, but he gets up anyways.

Before he heads out the door, he gives me a comforting pat on the head, the corners of his lips turning up. I could see the gratefulness in his eyes, making me feel better about myself.