Memories?! Ch. 14

I walk back to towards my house early that morning, trying to avoid people. I hear someone  approaching me in the distance and quickly hide my reiatsu, ducking into an ally.
"Don't hide from me, Himi."
I realize who it is and poke my head around the corner. I was instantly envelope in a tight hug, pulling me into his chest.
"Where have you been?" He asks, keeping me close to him.
"I've been busy training."
Renji pulls away and frowns at me.
"Really? Don't you know? She has 24 days."
I look at him confused. "24 days?... Until..." I cover my mouth and collapse against his chest. He nods and rests his chin on my head.
"What she did was a capital offense. Her execution will be a public showing. For everyone to see." I nod slowly and carefully unwrap myself from his arms.
"Where is she? I need to see her." Renji shakes his head and holds onto my hand.
"No, Himiko. You're not allowed anywhere near that building. Genryūsai's own words. You're in enough trouble already."

I don't respond and he leads me to my house, pulling out his key and letting himself in.
"Here, let me get you something to eat..." He sets me on the couch and heads to the kitchen. He starts digging through the cabinets and looks up at me.
"Anything new? How was training?"
I grin and show him my scabed up hands. "Oh, nothing much... Only that I can preform Shikai now..."
Renji mouth drops open and he beams at me.
"Holy Shit! In three days?! What the fuc-"
"I know right!" I interupt, as he hands me a bowel of yogurt covered with fruit and granola. "His name is Akemi. You should see him... He's so beautiful.."
Renji plops down next to me and lays on his stomach, kicking his feet in the air like a teenage girl.
"Really? Tell me more... What's he like?" I flick his nose and smirk.
"... Well... First thing first, he is was cooler than your monkey..." Renji tosses one of my stuffed animals at me and I glare at him.
"Don't you dare throw Mr. Hisagi Puffy Cakes! How could you? And your laying on top of Mr. Renji Poo!" Renji pulls the stuffed monkey from under him and he hugs it close to his chest.
"Well... I'm going to ignore the fact that you have a stuffed narwal named after Hisagi... But I'm honored to have one named after me." He runs his thumb along its face and smiles softly.
"Now that I'm looking closer at it... He's a handsome little devil, eh?"
I laugh and grab my bag, pulling out my stuffed panther.
"Yeah... He's alright... Not as beautiful as Mr. Kitty." Renji snags it from me and glares at it.
"You're telling me, this" He waves it around, glaring at me. "Is better than my beautiful monkey stuffy?"
I crack up and grab it away from him.
"That fact that you just called it a stuffy!" Renji blushes and settled back down.

"What does Akemi look like?" He asks, messing with the tips of my hair.
"He is a huge wolf... About 8 feet, with white fur. His fur has red swirls and specks, all over his body..." I sigh, smiling. "I wish you could see him, Ren. He is breath taking."

Renji nods and smiles softly at me. "I bet he's not as good looking as Zabimaru. And definitely not as easy on the eyes as me." I laugh and shrug.
"Guess you never know... But my shikai is a thing you should see too. It's amazing."
Renji narrows his eyes and frowns.
"Okay... I'll bite. What happens during your shikai?"
I laugh and shake my head.
"Uh, Uh. I'm not spoiling the fun. You'll have to wait and see." Renji groans and rolls his eyes. I stretch out on the sofa and scoot him over to make room for me. I glance at his face, he had his eyes closed and his mouth was settled in and small smile.
"When you captured Rukia... Did... Did Ichi-"
Renji nods and puts his arm around me, so I don't fall of the edge of the sofa.
"Yeah. He tried to save her." I nod and choke down my fear.
"Did you... Did you kill him?" I ask, clenching my fists. Renji shakes his head and smiles softly.
"... No. But Captain Kuchiki disabled his spiritual powers. He's no longer a shinigami." I stare at him in shock and then realization sets in.
"Oh... That won't stop him..." Renji glances at me, confused.
"What do you mean?"
"I'll bet you a week's paycheck that that wasn't the last time you see him." I say, nodding. Renji frowns and shakes my hand, sealing the deal.

We lay next to each other for a while, enjoying each other's company. A memory flashes in my head and I turn to Renji, tugging on his uniform.
"Hey... Do you remember that one day you waited for me after class?" He turns to me and his eyes meet mine.
"I'll never forget that, Himi. No matter what."

Flash Back- Soul Reaper Academy.

I was trying not to fall asleep when I got called on by a sensei. I didn't hear him because I was too busy staring at the clock.

"

Miss Himiko. What is your answer?"
I don't even look at him and answer, "What is, bakudo. Number 34."
He nods and frowns at me.
"Next time, pay attention during class."
I nod as the bell goes off. Everyone quickly gets up to leave and I go to follow.
"Wait, Himiko. Talk with me a minute." I stop and turn back to my teacher.
"Yes? What can I help you with?"
He smiles and shakes his head.
"I know that this class is easy for you, Miss Yamamoto-"
I frown and shake my head. "Don't call me that. Just Himiko." He smiles, apologetic.
"Of course, Miss Himiko. As I was saying, I understand. But, the other students are... This is the first time learning these things... They can't keep up with you."
I frown and look at him confused.
"Are you asking me to dumb it down... for the others?" He nods and rubs his neck.
"I know your grandfather has already taught you these things... but not everyone has had such a teacher in their lives." I nod and shrug.
"Of course, Sensei. I will try to be more considerate. I will be more involved in our lessons." He nods and wave me off.

I walk out the door and find Renji waiting for me. He looked a little shaken, so I smile at him.
"How sweet of you, Ren! You waited for me!" He nods and I link our arms. I lead us down the hall and into the courtyard, past the rest of the students and into the woods. Straight to our tree.
"So..." I say, turning to face him. "What's wrong? You haven't said a single thing since we left."
He looks me in the eyes, with a guarded gaze.

"What did he mean?" He mumbles, backing away from me.
"Who?"
"What did sensei mean? That you have a grandfather? Yamamoto.. Is that your last name?"
I frown and nod, glancing at his clenched fists.
"Yeah, but-"
Renji nods and looks me dead in the eye.
"So you have a family?"
I nod and frown at him."I'm not following... What's wrong?" I step forward and he steps back.
"We're not family, Himiko Yamamoto." He says. His words were like knifes, plunging deep into my heart. "We never were."
The knives twist and tears start to drip down my face.
"W-What do you mean? Of course we are!" I say, staring at him with wide eyes.
He shakes his head, glaring at me.
"You think I don't know your family name?! The Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto. He's your grandfather! You practically royalty and you didn't fucking tell me?! You lived for years, starving, running around with a bunch of strays! You didn't belong with us. You are not a part of our family, Miss Yamamoto." He pushes past me and I stand, tears dripping down my chin.

End of FlashBack

"Well... Not one of my favorite memories." Renji says, making me laugh.
"It is one of mine." He looks at me with wide eyes.
"What?! Why?!"
I smile softly and tug on his hair.
"You made me cry, Ren." He tries to interups but I put my finger on his lips, shushing him. "Hold on... But I saw something in your eyes. You hated yourself, what you were doing. You don't have to tell me, you hate when I cry. It hurts you. That's why I don't cry around you anymore. That day taught me that you feel a lot deeper than most. Whether you show it or not."
Renji places his head against mine and he sighs.
"Well... That's me in a nut shell...." He takes a piece of my hair and twirls it in between his fingers. "...And you're not wrong. Crying doesn't bother me that much... But when I see you cry, Himiko. It... It's like a splinter... Right in my chest... One of those annoying ones that you can't pull out. You know, the ones you get that go too deep and are hard to find."
I laugh and shake my head at him.
"Is it sad that I know exactly what you're talking about? The ones that you have to wait a couple of day for them to come out." He grins and nods.
"Exactly. You crying is like an annoying splinter in my chest."
"I don't know how to take that... Insult? Complement? Both?" He laughs and pushes me off the couch.
"Go take a shower, Himi! I can smell all three days of training on you!" He smirks.
I stand up and stick my tongue out at him.
"Shut up! At least it's only three days! I can smell fifty on you!" I yell, sprinting to the bathroom before he can shoot another comeback.
"Yeah! Run, you coward!" He calls to me, laughing.