Ryoka! Ch. 15

Everyone was scattered around like ants, running in circles. I huff and shove my way through the crowds. What's wrong with everybody? I see Renji running off with Iba and I sprint after them.
"Hey! Ren! Iba! Wait up!"
Renji freezes and looks at me with wide eyes. "Himi? Where have you been? I've been looking for you."
I shrug and stand by his side. "Training... I just got back. What's with everyone?"
Iba cocks his head and points to his arm, at his insighnia. "We have been called together. I don't think Kenpachi would mind if you came along. Hurry up."

We run together to conference room 2 and I spy Momo sitting on the ground. "Renji... Hi, Mr. Iba.... Himiko?"
Renji walks in and waves at her. "Hello, Momo. Wait? You're the only one here?"
She sweat-dropped. "Yes... It looks that way."
"The captains and assistants are all busy running the soul society." Rangiku walks in. "It could take half a day for us to get her!"
We make eye contact and she shoots me a grin. "What's up, Himi? Do you know where cap is? I haven't been able reach him at all. I don't know what to do."
I open my mouth to answer but Renji interups. "Who's your captain again?"
"You know, it's Hitsugaya." Iba answered.
"Oh. The genius. That's a pain."
I elbow him and shoot him a glare. "I haven't seen him, either. Maybe the captains are in a meeting?"
"Have any of you seen my captain... Captain Aizen?"
"No... I haven't." Renji says.
"He's been... acting strange... He was strange all morning... He wouldn't tell me why." Tears form around Momo's eyes. "I... don't know what to do."
I kneel before her and place a hand on her shoulder, smiling at her. "Don't worry, Momo. It's probably nothing. They'll probably cancel the order at any moment."
She smiles and sniffs gratefully. I turn to Renji with a questioning look ad he shrugs. Damn... What the heck is going on? Something beeps in my pocket and I pull out my pager.
"3rd seat, Himiko Yamamoto. Please report to Genryūsai Yamamoto immediately."
I snap my head towards the door and back towards Renji. "Hurry, Himi. That sounds urgent!"
I unfreeze and take off towards Gramps's meeting room.

Once I get there, I open the door with a small creak. All the captains were lined up, besides Gin. Yamamoto smiles at me and points to Kenpachi.
"You know the drill, Himiko. Just wait til we're finished."
I nod and walk to Kenpachi, standing at his side. We stand in silence until the door groans open. Loudly.  Gin walks in with his normal smile.
"There you are. So! What do you have to say for yourself?! Captain of the third company, Gin Ichimaru!"
He walks in, confused. "What's going on? I was wondering what I was called here for. Such a big production..." He walks down the isle. "The captains who run the soul society... Assembling just for me. Or maybe not." He points at an empty spot. "The captain of the thirteenth company is missing. Where is he?"
"He's sick." Tosen answers.
Gin scratches his chin in response. "Again? Poor thing..."
Kenpachi stiffens and steps forward. "That's enough. Do you think we are here to discuss a sick captain?" Pachi glares at Gin. "We heard. You were out playing with a Ryoka without permission."
I freeze and glance at my grandfather. A Ryoka? Seriously?
"And you let him get away. What happened?" Kenpachi continues. "A captain should be able to kill four or five Ryoka with ease."
My heart starts to beat a little faster. Four or five... Could it be?
"What? He isn't dead? Uh-oh..." Gin rubs his neck.
"What?!" Kenpachi stiffens.
"Gosh. I thought he was dead. Have my instincts begun to fair me?" 
Mayori laughs in delight. "Heh heh... Don't pretend you didn't know. We of the captain class can sense the disapearance of a being's spirit energy. Or were you so negligent... That you didn't bother to take notice?!"
Tōshirō sighs and meets my eyes. "Here we go again. Stupid old men, bickering. I can't take it." The smart part of me stuffles my laughter.
Gin turns to Mayori. "What's that?" He asks. "You think I let him get away on purpose?"
Mayori glares. "That's exactly what I think."
Kenpachi glares at them. "Be silent, Kurotsuchi. I'm asking the questions. You stay out of it! Unless you want me to cut you down!"
I sweat-drop and I hear the mutters of other captains.
"Stupid."
"Oh boy..."
"Now you've done it..."

"Ptoof!" Yamamoto yells, gathering the attention of everyone. "Stop! This is disgraceful! Kenpachi and Kurotsuchi, stand down! But..." Grandfather scratches his head. "Now you have some idea why you were called here, Gin. You acted independently, without orders. And by allowing your target to get away, you committed a blunder unworthy of your tank! I want to hear your explanation. That's why I called this meeting."
He opens his eyes and his face settles in a hollow exspession. "What do you have to say? What is your explanation? Eh, Gin?"
I sweat-drop, already knowing what Gin will say. He doesn't have one.
"I haven't got one!" He smiles. Yep, called it.

"What?" Yamamoto asks.
"An explanation. I was careless. I have no excuse. So... Punish me any way you'd like."
"Wait. Gin..." Captain Aizen interups.

All of the sudden a huge bong sounds and everyone freezes. "Emergency! Emergency! Intruder in the Seireitei! All guardsmen to battle stations!"
Is it... The Ryoka?! Kenpachi grabs my arm and pulls me on his back, running out the door.
"Hey?! Wait, Kenpachi! We still..." Aizen calls after us, but we were to far gone.

After we get a safe distance away, I jump off his back and run along side of him. "We going after the Ryoka, Pachi?" He nods and looks at the roofs of the buildings.
"Hey, Kenny!"
"Yachiru!"
She springs from the roof and lands on his back with grace.
"Is it an enemy? Are you going to slay him?"
Kenpachi grins. "Yes! A Ryoka! I don't know how, but he survived a fight with Gin! I can't wait to cross swords with him!"
I follow silently. Please... I look to the sky. Please let it not be Ichigo and the squad.... Please. All of the sudden, I see a bright ball flying towards us.

"Wha... What's that?!" I ask, pointing at the sky. It crashes through the shakonmaku, the soul membrane and crashes to the ground. "What the Fu-"
"That's it! The enemy, Kenny! Go!!"
All of the sudden the ball splints into different directions.
"Whoa... They're shooting off in different directions!" I marvel.
"Which one is it? The strongest one... Which one is it?!"