7. Drinking with Elves

~ The elves find a more traditional use for Wynne's liquor and she tries to seduce the Elvenking. o_O ~

7. Drinking With Elves

With a steady hand and nimble fingers Legolas made three neat stitches. He did it so swiftly that Wynne hardly had time to feel the sting of the needle.

For once the elf was being nice, a refreshing change, but of course it didn't last for long; as usual he couldn't resist a joke. "I hope your nausea is better. We get lembas for dinner, your favorite!"

"Are you ever serious?" she retorted.

"It happens." He grinned. "Once every decade or so. But I am afraid there are still a few more years to go until the next time." He cut the thread short with his knife and carefully wiped the blood off with a clean cloth before tying it with linen.

His hands were big, yet soft and careful. Having him touch her thigh felt forbidden even though the reason was legitimate. If he moved only a little bit higher he would reach a very personal area.

Her mouth went dry at the thought.

Did he realize that too? She peeked at him, noticing a faint reddening of his bent neck. Maybe he did.

"There, fit to go. But I hope you brought extra clothes for your hose are a mess." He took the soiled, torn stocking and inspected it critically.

"Give that back."

He held it teasingly out of her reach, then laughed and threw it into her lap, dodging a kick from her good leg.

Bothersome elf! Every time she started to think better of him he did something childish and ruined everything.

oOo

The company gathered around a slightly bigger campfire that night, as if to let the light and warmth of it repel their distress and pain.

During the meal they discussed the skirmish. Thranduil said they wouldn't usually let orcs get the better of them, at least not such a small band. They had been taken by surprise today, distracted and troubled by the cruelty that had befallen the poor elks.

"Something like this will not happen again," he assured her. "The next time we combat orcs you shall witness some true elf capacity."

Wynne had to hide a smile. Was Thranduil embarrassed? It certainly appeared so. He had allowed orcs to ambush his company and even got hurt himself, and as proud as he was he must hate to seem vulnerable.

Maybe this was an opportunity to try her female influence on him? If she soothed his damaged ego and flattered him it might make him like her...

But doing that would take more bravery than she could muster. She still had the waterskin with distilled spirits; a few drops would calm her nerves.