Chapter 10

Tears fell down Maria's face when she read the letter. Afterwards, Mayor Rose asked who is Jaime and who is he in Maria's life. Maria then told us a story:

"Your grandfather was a member of the Philippine Army. Of course, he has the discipline and he projects that at home, especially with me and your tito. He loved us. He loved your lola. He was the best father that any daughter can ever have.

Then I met Jaime. I was about Freya's age when I met him. We both loved the Spoliarium. He was kind and handsome. Harry reminds me of him a lot actually. We didn't expect that we'll fall in love. At that time, Jaime was my first love.

The problem is, our love is forbidden. Jaime was a member of HUKBALAHAP, a guerilla group against the Japanese during the war. But as the war ended, some became rebels of the government, causing our love to be forbidden by my dad. When I was arranged to a marriage by your father, Esteban, I tried running away to be with him. But he was gone. And so, I married your father." Tears continued falling down her face, "I never thought...I never thought he'll appear again. That he'll write to me again." She then gave us a photo of a young Maria and Jaime. We looked at it.

"Kilala ko yata to. Si Tatay Eming yan. (I think I know this person. That's Father Eming) Jaime Martinez." Tacoy said with shock, "Siya yan nung bata siya (That's him when he's young)."

Maria's eyes were wide with shock, "Kilala mo? (You know him?)"

"Yes po. Lumaki po kasi ako sa Biliran. Naku, napakabait ng matanda. Kaya pala first love niyo. (I grew up in Biliran. The old man is so kind. No wonder he is your first love)

Maria cried in pure joy knowing that Jaime's alive. Sooner, she cried so much that we didn't realize she's having a hard time breathing. We were all shocked and scared that we decided to rush her to the hospital.