Chapter 9

Old Mercado House. That's what Maria's house looks like when we arrived. It was old yet beautiful. I took a photo of the old house for a while and then went in and saw the true beauty when we saw antique furniture and decorations. It really is a Filipino-style house.

"Mama?" Mayor Rose called out. Then Maria appeared, sitting in a rocking chair.

Maria was.....an old woman. Probably in her 90s. She's really old. But beautiful. Really beautiful.

"Anak (my child)." She smiled as Mayor Rose kissed her cheek.

"May bisita po kayo (We have visitors)." She said as she gestured to us. We smiled.

"Naku! Maganda at mga gwapo tong mga bisita ko. Hali kayo dito. (Gosh! What beautiful and handsome people my visitors are. Come here.)"

"She says that you should go near to her." Mayor Rose whispered. We then went near to her and she started hugging us and pinching our cheeks. We then introduced ourselves and Tacoy cracked a joke to Maria, causing her to laugh. She then looked at me and Freya.

"Itong dalawang to, sina Freya at Harry, parang magkasintahan na nabuhay sa panahon ng Espanyol. (These two, Freya and Harry, looks like a couple that lived during the Spanish Era)"

"Agree po ako diyan lola. (I agree grandma)" Tacoy said, causing her to laugh again.

"What did she say?" I asked, smiling.

"She said that you and Freya look like a couple that were alive during the Spanish Era in the Philippines."

I smiled.

"Uhh..." Freya said, causing her cheeks to heat up, making me smirk at her, "Your mom is so funny Mayor." She then smiled. Mayor Rose smiled back and turned to Maria.

"Ma, may nakita daw silang sulat para sa inyo. Nakita daw nila sa may Spoliarium. (Mom, they found a letter for you. They found it at the Spoliarium)"

She then told Freya to give the letter and she gave it to Maria.

"It said it came from Jaime." Freya said. Her reaction then became different. Her laugh soon died down and tears started welling in her eyes. She smiled. As if it were tears of pure joy.

She's the right Maria indeed.

"Jaime?"