CHAPTER 14

*Flashback Li-Han's Point of View*

          A few years ago, I fled from the nearby Silla Empire because my brother held the throne and thought I was a threat to him. He ordered assassins to murder me.
           When I met this girl on the street during the Lantern Festival, she took me in during my harsh times and hospitalized me. I'm always battling with death, so I knew that I can't stay here long. On the other hand, she's in conflict with her family, they treat her poorly because she was the daughter of the minor wife. So in order to protect her from all the possible harm, I decided to bring her with me.
           I promised her that I would protect her no matter what, and plan on fleeing together, away from all the problems in our life. I know this isn't right, a girl's reputation is really important, especially coming from a wealthy family like her's. I know that her parents want her to marry another wealth powerful general, and I would just cause more harm to her with all the trouble I have back in Silla.
           I managed to fake ID and documents into becoming a general in the Tang Dynasty to get away from those assassins. As a general job would likely protect me from those assassins and also understand the political military aspects of my empire.
           During our flee, the Silla assassins found me. Her family is also chasing after us. Both were only coming after me, but she took all the swords that came towards me. From that moment on, I knew my duty was to protect her. Regardless if I'm a runaway criminal, a noble general, or a military soldier, I knew that she needed me. And so I took her to the very same cottage we are currently at. There, we spend our happiest month away from trouble. But happiness left so fast. Her parents eventually found us, and her father was infuriated at me. He told me to forever stay away from her, slapped me a thousands coil and left me alone at the beautiful cottage by myself. I couldn't even hold onto the only one that I dearly love, and felt ashamed of myself.
            I stayed there to one, recover from my injuries. And two, hide from the Silla assassins. But before I knew, 6 months have pass by, and I had finally decided to return back to town and peruse my "soldier" duty once again.
           However, as I guarded the town that one morning, I saw... her. We took glances, but she had seem to forgotten me? Did her father threaten her? Did she not remember anything that we had together?