CHAPTER 12

The morning bird chirped as we lay side by side. At first thought, I thought he was dead. I had begun to weep. Weep for the idea that I was here. Weep for the thought that I may never go back home. But sadly, weep for the idea that I had caused Li-Han's death.
I began to sob louder and louder.

Li-Han opens his eyes unconsciously. At first glance, he might look like he's still motionless. But after looking up at me, the side of his mouth curls up slightly. He uses all of his strength to hold his hand up slowly and gently to stroke my hair.
          Startled by the sudden touch, I jumps back a little. But after realizing that Li-Han wasn't dead, a deep bright smile quickly fills my face.

"You're not dead," I said in a star struck tone.
"Of course I'm not dead," Li-Han chuckled when he said that. "Now come on, the soldiers might be coming."

Li-Han manages to get up with me holding onto his arms. Struggling to walk, I continue to hold onto his as we walk towards this beautiful wooden cottage.
          At first, I haven't notice it, probably because I was too focused on Li-Han. But now that I'm seeing the cottage and it's surrounding views, I'm beginning to fall in love with this place.
          The cottage itself isn't big, but it still gave out a whole 'luxurious' vibe. Directly in front of the cottage is an enormous cherry blossom tree which blocks the cottage. If you don't look hard enough, you could barely notice that there's even a cottage. Not far from it, there is a beautiful lake, the surface which shines bright due to the sun.
          Surprisingly, as Li-Han and I walk inside the cottage, everything has already been furnished. There, I set him down onto the bed. And once again, questions began to flourish through my mind.

          "Wait Li-Han, why did you decide to take me away from the palace? Why did you decided to help me and take me here?" I asked.
          "I know there's a lot of questions, but I cannot tell you until the time is right."
          Startled by everything that has happened, I just nodded to his words.
          "Even though I cannot answer or tell you exactly all the questions that you have, I can still give out a few informations," Li-Han said looking directly into my eyes.
           "Oh," I said while blushing and trying my best to avoid his eye contact.
           I stared off silently towards the lake in what seems like forever is finally broken by Li-Han's answer.
           "I took you away from the palace because you don't belong there. And although the emperor might be wealthy and powerful, I don't want you fighting with the other concubines for his favor."
           Listening closely to every word he said, my face began to blush even harder. To the point that it's severely visible.
          Why am I acting like this I thought while I patted my face with my hands unknowing that Li-Han has been staring at me this whole time. I continued my thought staring towards the lake. But why does he care so much about me? I thought I have seen him before?
          This time, I stared directly back into Li-Han's eye with my still red blushed cheek.
          "Li-Han, so who exactly are you?"