Iv. Back to Basics

It was kind of unusual that Leni isn't around yet, it's already one in the afternoon. She would always come early to ask him to go out with her throughout the day for some sort of bonding — but to him, it was some kind of a date.

He shook his head trying to shrug off the accumulating feelings inside his chest. He scolded himself for expecting her to come around, he shouldn't yearn for her presence just because she consistently visited him everyday since she landed in Davao. He continued his day with his old routine, coffee and newspaper, until the sun began to set.

As time passed by, he became more convinced that Leni is no longer coming again for a visit. Baka naumay na siya kakasama kami lagi. He sighed.

He slouched at the couch and played Flow. His favorite game to play during his spare time — a game that Leni taught her before, he recalled. He closed the app and hated how everything seems to be returning to him, the feelings, the butterflies.

He blamed her presence and her sudden reappearance. He knew he was fine already since their terms ended, they parted ways, he was left with the thought that Leni would never see him the way he sees her, he was just a president to her and that's it. A prickle on his chest sprouted as he recalled the times Leni lied to decline his dinner invites, the times she made him feel unwanted.

He realized he shouldn't be too happy about going out with her or else he will just end up hurting himself again. He gulped the lump on his throat as the pain intensified in his chest. It just felt so wrong having expectations again if she never really had any feeling for him at the first place. He might be misinterpreting her again, he thought.

His thinking suddenly got interrupted by a call. He glanced at the caller ID:

Ma'am Leni R.

His heart skipped a bit. How untimely. He didn't want to look so rude, it took him a while to pick it up tho.

"Good evening ma'am." He greeted, trying to sound enthusiastic. "Hello? Sir?" She replied, "nasa bahay ka sir?" She had to ask because the house looked dim.

"Ah, oo ma'am. Bakit?" He wondered why she had to call and ask.

She felt relieved, "labas ka muna sir."

His chest pounded loudly. He stood up and peeked swiftly through the window — she's outside.

Putangina. He was overwhelmed by her sudden presence.

He rushed outside and opened the gate for her. She stood still and smiled.

"Ma'am bakit bigla ka nagpunta, hindi ako nakaayos." He brushed his messy hair with his hands. She chuckled, "okay lang sir, gusto ko rin isurprise ka."

He looked puzzled, surprise me? Why?

"Eh nakakahiya naman ma'am. Di pa nga ako nagsuklay. Taas taas pa yung buhok ko, butas pa itong tshirt ko." He felt embarrassed.

A smile bloomed on her lips. She has always been amused by his simplicity. "Kumain ka na?"

He continued raking his hair with his fingers, "hindi pa, ikaw ba? Gusto mo kumain? Ipagluto kita sa loob. Pasok ka." He invited but she had other plans.

"Ah, hindi na sir. Gusto sana kita yayain kumain." She retorted.
"Sige ma'am. Sino sino bang kasama? Sa labas mo ba gusto?" He felt humiliated for not thinking about offering to eat outside. "Magpapalit lang ako ng damit."

"Wag na sir." She interrupted.
"May butas pa itong damit ko, kahiya naman kumain sa labas ganito itsura ng kasama mo." He explained.

"Hindi naman tayo sa labas kakain," she clarified, "sa hotel nalang sana. Tayong dalawa lang naman, wag ka na mag-ayos." He was swept away by every word she uttered.

Hotel?
Kaming dalawa lang?

Her words shook him. He blinked his eyes hard. His chest pounded heavily like he was in danger. He looked back at her to check if he heard her right and if she was serious. She smiled softly at him as their eyes met.

He immediately looked away, "ah, sige ma'am." She saw how puzzled his face was but he refused to ask further.

He went back inside and took his phone and necessities. He had a quick look of himself in the mirror and noticed his bulging stomach. He inhaled a bit to make it look slim but it was just too big to conceal. He could only wish for it to be fine abs instead of being a round circular tummy.

They took a taxi to the hotel, she brought him up to the room she rented. His legs gently trembled as he took steps inside.

Kami lang dalawa. Kumalma tayo. Act normal.

He sat on the couch as she prepared the foods and headed towards the door.

"Tara." She called him.

He looked clueless, "ah, saan ba tayo?"

She smirked, "sa taas tayo." He followed her obliviously.

They took the narrow stairs towards the rooftop of the cheap hotel. She opened the metal door and it surprised him to see a simple set up of a picnic blanket under the dim skies.

A smile sprouted on his lips, he didn't expect she'll do such effort for him. "Ba't may paganito ka ma'am?" He asked and helped her settle the foods in bento boxes as they sat on the ground.

"Wala. Gusto ko lang magpicnic kasama ka. Masama ba?" She saw him blushing from the corner of her eyes. He nodded, "ayos pala dito solo natin ito."

She opened the bento boxes, "oo. Madalas ako magmuni muni dito mag-isa. Mahangin tapos tahimik," she laid the opened meals, "pili ka na, kare kare 'to tapos ito menudo, itong isa seafood roll tapos ito naman barbecue pero hindi ko na nilagay sa stick. Hindi kase kasya."

He smiled and tried the seafood roll out. "Bakit ka naman nagmumuni muni? Anong pinagmumuni munihan mo?" He asked.

She looked at him and bowed a bit as their eyes met, "wala." She replied briefly, hesitant of admitting what's really occupying her mind lately.

"Mmm?" He doubted. He knows how to read her eyes well, she was definitely hiding something.

"Wala nga," she laughed, "kung ano ano lang. Kung saan tayo pupunta the next day ganon." She followed.

He handed her a seafood roll. "Pinagmumunihan mo yon?"

She rolled her eyes, "oo bakit? I'm a woman of plans kaya. Kasama ka sa plano ko eh."

The huge smile in his lips faded a bit, huwag mong lagyan masyado ng kahulugan. He reminded himself but every time she throws such words to him — it hits him straight to his heart.

He glanced at her while she wasn't looking back. She still makes his heart skip a beat, she still makes him smile without him even realizing it.

Romantic Short Stories [DUBREDO]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara