Iii. Back to Basics

He looked at a distance and recalled the events that happened the past few days since Leni visited him.

They went to People's Park and Roxas market last Monday.

They only rode jeep after Leni refused to take a cab. He was holding at the hand rest of the jeep, Leni held his arm to keep herself balanced during the commute. He didn't want to put much attention to it but it made his heart flutter.

They first went in for some souvenir hunting. Buying keychains and tasting pomelos and durian flavored foods along the street. Digong couldn't believe he's looking at the lady he admires enjoying the foods of his hometown.

"Sarap?" He asked as she tried out the durian ice cream. "M-m! Amoy durian na yung hininga ko mamaya. Kakakain ko lang ng Durian candy!" They laughed. "Okay lang, I'll pretend I don't smell anything." He teased. She playfully slammed his stomach.

As the sun sets, they watched the people in Roxas market gather and prepare for their stalls. "Mahilig ka sa masahe?" He asked.

Leni knew how Roxas market is known for its quick massages. "Tamang tama, medyo masakit na yung likod ko." She replied.

They both availed a massage as soon as they accepted clients. They both laughed at how silly they look like having random massage in public. "Ano ba tong mga trip natin?" She laughed. "Masarap naman." He replied.

The night went on, they had some sticks of inihaw and ate it at the People's Park together in front of the city hall.

The indigo skies dimmed the surroundings but the colorful lights around the area gave them a mood.

"Parang ang dami nating nagawa ngayong araw ah?" He brought up and took a bite of his betamax. She chuckled, "oo, andami ko ring nakain ngayon!"

He smiled, couldn't explain how his heart was at bliss spending the day with her. "Minsan lang naman tsaka para matikman mo yung mga pinagmamalaki namin dito." He bragged.

She nodded, "ang sarap nga mga pagkain dito." She continued chewing her inihaw.

She suddenly snorted. "Bakit?" He asked. She suppressed her laughter, "wala. Naisip ko lang parang first date pala natin 'to." She remarked.

A smile grew in his lips, "ngayon ka lang yata pumayag na mailabas kita ng tayo lang." He shared. She regretted the times she rejected him, she actually enjoys his company.

First date. It was very special to her. She marked that day and place since then.

They went to Crocodile Farm on Tuesday.

"Batuhin mo dali, wala namang bantay." She nagged. "Gagi, bawal batuhin." He laughed at her curiosity. "Para lang gumalaw! Nakanganga lang eh. Tulog. Dali na isa lang." She was such a mischievous and adventurous girl.

They took their photo together holding the baby alligator and snake as their souvenir.

They went to Malagos Chocolate factory on Wednesday.

"Leni!" He scolded.
She frowned at him, "pang-ilang chocolate mo na yan? Pag ang ngipin mo sumakit." He worried about her overeating of sweets.
"Ngayon lang naman. Ang sarap kaya." She defended. "Puro ka matamis. Baka tumaas pa sugar mo niyan anong mangyare sa'yo. Mahilo ka o ano," he lectured, "hindi ko alam ang gagawin ko kapag napano ka." He lowered his voice but she still heard him.

A smile grew on her lips. "Hindi na nga, sir." She fed him with a piece of chocolate. "Ayan, chocolate para hindi ka na magalit."

They went to Eagle Centre on Thursday.

Digong just watched Leni take random photos of the eagles as he walked her around. "Grabe ang laki ng mga eagle noh?" He couldn't help but smile seeing seeing her eyes twinkle in fascination.

She was very talkative throughout their tour, "papano kaya kapag tinuka ka niyan? Masakit kaya?" She wondered. "Of course." He laughed. "Mm? Paano mo nasabi?" She questioned, "natuka ka na ba niyan?"

He recalled the time he was pecked by an eagle before, "oo." He showed her the small scar near his ear after an eagle tried to peck him several years ago.

"Grabe. Tinuka ka talaga? Baka naman kase inano mo kay nagalit sa'yo?" She looked worried. "Hindi, nagulat yata kase may mga bata noon, maiingay." He shared.

"Ganon? Ayoko na pala sakanila. Nanunuka." She pouted her lips. She actually just didn't like the idea that this animal hurt Digong even if it was already years ago.

They paid for some official photos with the eagle after strolling around.

Their last stop for the week was in Samal Island at Villa Amparo.

The idea of sharing a room with Digong made her nervous but the moment they arrived at the resort, it was replaced by excitement. She rushed to their room and squealed upon seeing the native themed room. The bed frames were made of bamboo and the room's walls were composed of woven materials. The bed sheets looked native as well. It was so raw.

Probinsyang probinsya. She described.

Digong stood still and observed the room as she fixed her things. It took a while before it sank to him that he will be sharing the queen size bed with Leni later that evening. He gulped, it made him feel nervous. It was his first time to be that close to her.

The skies turned dark, Leni invited him out to the bay. Digong didn't have swimwear so he just stood by the sad area and watched after Leni.

"Tara dito." She pulled him by his arm and made his feet be doused by the waves of the sea. They stood next to each other feeling the cold breeze of the ocean next to their skin.

They looked far away and watched the beauty of nature coming next to their eyes. There were people around but it just felt like it was just them around. Leni bowed her head a bit and smiled. She couldn't believe she's having a night with Digong at the coast.

She felt so close to him that very moment. Her heart fluttered as she saw his empty hand from the corner of her eyes.

She gulped heavily, she wanted to hold his hand and intertwine her fingers with his. She wanted to move closer to him and lean her head on his shoulder as they gaze up on the sky.

A part of her wanted it so bad, another part of her held her back from doing so. She was afraid he won't like it and she would just be left in humiliation.

Bakit hindi mo magawa? Tingin mo ba kaya ni Digong ipahiya ka? Alam mong hindi siya ganong klaseng tao. She encouraged herself.

As she slowly earned her courage, she began to move her hand towards his. So slow that he wouldn't notice her intention.

Just when their hands were an inch apart, he suddenly moved causing more distance.

"Gusto mo ng iced tea?" He turned. She swiftly withdrew her hand away from him.

He didn't actually see what she was trying to do. She looked at him — quite stunned. "Ha?" She uttered.

He wondered why she looked so startled. "Ah, gusto mo ng iced tea kako. Kukuha kita." He repeated.

She just nodded and watched him pace away. Her heart ached as she missed the chance of holding him.

Siguro kung tinrato kita ng tama nung una palang hindi na magiging ganito na nakakakaba. Nakakatakot. She felt remorse.