Xii. Back to Basics

Three minutes! The speaker announced. The people hyped up.

She sat back on the bench and wiped her eyes that started to become teary. Hindi ko na nga inexpect na magmamahal ako ulit tapos fail pa. She laughed at herself.

"Ang unfair mo naman. Sumuko ka kung kailan handa na ako." She murmured and thought about Digong but all she can do now is make fun of herself.

One minute! The music turned up. Apo Hiking's When I Met You played.

She stood up to at least go with the crowd. She looked up to the sky and smiled as she waited for the time.

In hype, she dropped her handkerchief. A stranger picked it up for her.

"Ah, sorry. Thank y—" she was left speechless as she glanced at the gentleman's face handing her handkerchief back.

He smiled, his eyes twinkled. "Parang jacket ko yan ha?"

She couldn't believe her eyes. She was standing next to Digong. She was almost breathless as she laid her sight on him. It was like the movies.

She was on the fringe of giving her hopes up that he would still come but here he is standing next to her.

"Sir." Her voice nearly cracked. He legs froze to the ground.

"Kanina ko lang nabasa yung mga sulat mo ma'am. I would have been here earlier kung nabasa ko yon agad." He explained.

His presence took all the words out of her. Her eyes glistened as tears of joy swarmed her eyes.

"Hindi pa naman twelve. Maaga pa ako sa New Year, di ba?" He jested. She smiled brightly at him, "you never disappoint."

Ten! Nine! Eight! The crowd started to count.

They joined in the hype and counted with them, seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two.

One.

The fireworks display colored the dark skies. The explosion harmonized with the shouts, yells, cheers and music across the place.

The people jumped and rejoiced together as they welcomed the new year.

Digong and Leni looked at each other. The world slowed down, it felt like it was just the two of them. Leni couldn't believe she's not alone this new year as she thought she would be.

Digong smiled softly and looked at her in all satisfaction. "Will you start the year with me?" He asked.

She blushed as she suppressed her giggles. She nodded, "Kahit the rest of the next years pa."

She pulled him for a tight hug, he gladly reciprocated her enthusiastic embrace. Her head felt so light but this time, it wasn't because she's too sad. She was so happy to be in his arms and to be that close to him once again.

He slowly pulled away and gazed straight into her eyes. He languidly stroked her face with his thumb, "happy new year ma'am." He greeted with a calm voice.

She exhaled heavily, the longer he looks at her face, the more she proves that everything that's happening is real.

"Sana hindi 'to panaginip." She uttered as the bright skies made them appear like a silhouette.

He rested his hands on her hips, she draped her hands around his shoulders, "kase kung panaginip 'to, ayoko na gumising."

The fireworks continued exploding to the skies next to them.

You gave me a reason for my being and I love what I'm feelin'...

"Sabi mo sa huling sulat mo ma'am may gusto kang sabihin saakin ng personal?" He asked.