XXI

A/N:- The quote below is mine. And although not everyone will agree to it, this is what I firmly believe and stand by.

If you've stuck around till this point, I can't thank you enough. God bless you ♥️

++++

Chapter 21 / Unexpected Surprises.

In building expectations, we must also note and understand the risk that tallies with each one of them. They say the biggest risk of all is to not take a risk at all. Therefore, it is better to pass through life understanding the risks that come with expectations and still take that risk. Than resigning to an expectation-less life, which usually ends up bland and dry..."

******

"The reunion...." Collecting her self back to one piece, Melissa's voice trailed off, decipherable sadness lining her tone. "I forgot about that."

"Well, I just reminded you." Taking a cursory glance at her, Rhoda beamed.

Returning her sight to the road, Rhoda  got ready to pull over as they approached 'Fantazia' which was situated at a close distance to the playground.

Finally getting to the best restaurant known all over Festac, Rhoda voiced, "You had asssured me you'd do this, Mel."

Now, pulling the brakes, her eyes narrowed at Melissa, sternness palpable in her subtlety. "So you can't back but out now."

"Assured, is a big word." Melissa reacted to such rigor. "I'm not even sure-" She attempted to say, right before Rhoda interrupted her.

By pronouncing, "Just like I've always said and will still say, it's time to get your life back on track." In same manner of subtlety, certitude had now replaced the previous austerity. "And you and I, know that the starting point of 'getting your life back on track', is that reunion. It's not negotiable."

"Besides, what is a life without the simple unit of 'family' ?" Rhoda questioned, "What would your life be without your family?"

After hearing these words, speechlessness took over Melissa.

It wasn't new that her greatest desire, at that point, remained to start living life, again! Without all of the pain, fear, and negativities, as a whole.

And it was a truism that she couldn't achieve this, without her family.

Trial to do this would definitely lead to an abrupt failure.

'Family' was the single unit she was birthed from and in ; the very entity her existence took being from.

So, she had to begin from there. No matter how far she went, she would always - eventually - have to find her way back home ; the beauty of that primitive but yet magnificent unit.

So, she uttered, more placid and understanding than before, "Fine."

"Good." Rhoda tightened a smile.

Gesturing for Melissa to get out of the car, Rhoda continued uttering, "Let's go get some food and then we'll be right on our way home - where you'll get some rest. After which, we'll head for the shopping mall. Okay?" At the mention of 'shopping mall', a certain kind of excitement splattered across her words.