Chapter 13: Never Change

"Mom, wait." Inko paused as she went to open the front door, turning to look at her son.

"What is it?'

"Do you have any cash in your purse?"

"No, I don't usually carry cash... why?"

"Maybe you should bring some. Just in case." Inko gave Izuku a weird look.

"Well, if you're worried about it, I guess I can bring some. One moment." She disappeared into her room, and after a few moments, came back out. "I've got two twenties. Happy?"

Izuku smiled. "Yup. Let's go!"

The freckled teen locked the door behind him. Just in case.

---

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but our card reader isn't working right now. We can only take cash," Shinso told them when Inko handed him her debit card. 

"Oh, one second, I've got some." Inko handed him a twenty, and the purple-haired boy gave back her change.

"Your food will be ready in a few minutes."

"Thank you!"

Inko gave Izuku a questioning look. He met her eyes and shrugged.

When their food was ready, they took it to a nearby park, where they ate at a picnic table then sat on the swings for a while, in comfortable silence.

"Izuku, you must have a spider sense or something."

"Hm?"

"You told me to grab some cash just in case, then lo and behold, the card reader at the resturaunt is broken. I never carry cash, and the one time I do, I need it."

He smiled. "I don't know. I just had a feeling."

"Maybe you do have a quirk, Izuku. Precognition or something."

"We'll see if it happens again."

"I suppose we will." Inko grinned, and in that moment, she looked just like she had when Izuku was a child. Beautfiul and perfect in every way. And she was still perfect; just not as fit as she used to be. No matter what happened, she would always be his mom. And he was never going to let her go.

Izuku was probably the only person to ever kill themselves and not regret it. In his opinion, going back to save Inko was the best decision he had ever made.