Chapter 1

January 1st, 2003

Birds chirping, river streams gently flowing, the occasional crunch of leaves, the light conversations. The warmth of the sun, the way it lit trees, rocks, animals, with it's light, giving even more vibrant colors; to an already beautiful sight. Breathing in the fresh air, the smell of pine trees, dirt, and leaves filled my nose as I slowly looked ahead. My mom was quietly chatting away with another hiker.

Every year, on January 1st the community celebrated a New Year by taking a hike in Hoko River and every year my mom and I attended this hike. We kept the tradition alive even after my dad passed away 3 years ago.

The old woman continued to talk about the unfortunate event where her sons flooded the living room. The sound of my mom's laugh made me silently thank the old woman. It had been a while I heard her laugh that hard. I know work was stressful and the hours were tough.

"Okay everyone, take a small break and we will head on back!" The park ranger announced as we all silently found rock to sit on. I watched as some hikers stretched, took some snacks out, some took out their phones to take photos.

The birds flew past us and although our home was surrounded by nature, it was something I could never grow tired of. The beauty Mother Nature has given us. It's a shame people have no respect for something so delicately precious.

"Honey, are you excited for school tomorrow? Do you have everything?" She side glanced as she put back the bottle in her backpack.

"It's the same every year...I...yes, I have everything all set and ready to go for tomorrow." Silently breaking off a piece of granola bar we made a day before.

"I don't think it will be dull tomorrow" she teased as she got up, strapped her backpack and followed the group back to the parking lot. Running to catch up with her, slinging my backpack on my right shoulder, I watched her smile proudly, not meeting my shocked expression.

"Wait! You are just going to leave me in the dark? Mother please! I wanna know what you mea-"

"I thought you said you didn't want me to tell the gossip from the hospital?" She knowingly smirked downwards, my slight pout was the silent answer she knew she wasn't going to receive. "Alright I'll tell you only if you promise not to say anything? Deal?"

"Yes! Yes of course. What is it?"

She fished for the car keys, saying goodbye to old woman and getting in the car, starting up the engine. "So...are going to to keep in suspense? I could die you know?!"

"Oh sweetheart, don't be dramatic." She waved her hand toward me. "Well as I was saying. Tomorrow isn't going to dull because a new doctor is arriving tomorrow."

"Why should that matter? I don't work at the hospital."

The blinkers noise interrupted my thoughts. "Please explain?"

Heavily sighing, "Seriously sometimes I wonder if that phone of yours has fried your brain or not. Sweetheart, he's has a family and that means tha-". I snapped my fingers pointing "New students!!" I smiled.

"Bingo! Now I know it will be difficult not to tell Jessica but I really want them not be bombarded on their first day. The other nurses swore not to say anything to their children. We don't want to scare them off." 

Her voice held no warning, soft as ever but the stern look she gave me meant she was serious. It was the same look she gave her patience's when she needed them to follow her precise orders.

"I know don't worry, I won't say anything. If it comes from Jessica, spreads like wild fire.."
The view of the Clallam Bay slowly faded as we entered the freeway back to Forks.

"So how many children does the new doctor have?"

⚰️

˚✧₊Done⁎⁺˳✧༚
Sorry that was an awful first chapter. I will continue to improve my writing. I promise. Let me know what you think? Too boring? Any opinions? I'd like to know! :)