『XVII』

Author's Note:
     Kon'nichiwa, minna! Again, sorry for the long wait. I was supposed to publish this a week ago or so, but yeah, life's just hectic for me right now, hehe! Anyway, this chapter is published to celebrate 1K+ reads, yay! I hope you enjoy it, even though it doesn't look edited well... (。•́︿•̀。)

Chapter 17
Faded Traces In The Mud

Hands ran through lengthy waves of silken hair. The strands flowed easily from the touch, with locks of molten honey brushed by a comb from time to time. Bending, twisting, at ease by its will, the threadlike waves were then woven into braids of neat and perfection. And afterwards, all were brought together, interlaced, and securely pinned by a simple pin and ribbons for the final touch.

"...And, done!"

Mey-rin took a step back as she gazed upon her finished work. A content sigh streamed through the air followed by a squeal, to which the maid had been holding back during the preparations done for the other. "Lovely how it turned out so well, yes! I have rarely done this before for anyone, so I was unsure if I could pull it off, and suprisingly, I did! It's quite unbelievable."

"You really did a remarkable job, Mey-rin." Elvilya gazed upon her reflection and gently patted the surface of the braided parts behind her head. Her hair was elegantly styled into a voluminous loops of braids, with a few strands standing astray from some angles. It was a rather simplistic updo, but she appreciated the effort nonetheless. "Thank you."

"It is my absolute pleasure!"

The maid couldn't be more happier to have done something out of her forte for once. Most of the time, she would.
.. stumble around and fumble over the things she's carrying for no reason, knock off an entire shelf of china ware on accident, or drop a dozen pounds worth of porcelain furniture. Especially with the kind of eyesight she has, a day wouldn't pass without her clumsiness acting out.

Serving someone else other than her young master, a female at that, provided her with an opportunity to commit other tasks such as what she had currently done. Indeed, that there is still Elizabeth besides her. However, serving a child still has its matter of differences when it comes to a full fledged lady. Suffice to say that it was more or less, a peaceful experience.

"Especially since it is not everyday that I have done this to others, so is to say that I've become rather fond of this new routine." An amiable smile curved into her lips as she took a dress from the pile that had been laid out at Elvilya's bed and carefully examined it. "Ah, I wouldn't even feel tired of doing this again. It feels like.. oh, like a bonding between friends, don't you think so?"

"Friends...?"

A term sounded as if Elvilya had never heard of it for such a long time. Since when? Her lack of memories couldn't confirm anything, except the remaining feelings that resurfaced for being triggered from time to time. Elvilya wondered if she had a friend that was waiting for her, back to the place where she originally came from. She wondered if they were as kind as the people that she has met so far, who exceeded the same warmth as them, and had cared for her just like most friends would do.

She wondered if she even have a place to return to.

Elvilya's glossy eyes flitted towards the open window, the sounds of the on-going conversation sinking by the background. Tucking the loose strands of hair at the back of her ear, she released a steady breath, returned her gaze forward, and stared at the maid's figure at the other side of the vanity mirror.