『XII』

Chapter 12
Behind A Sweet Girl's Front

One step, a single glance.

Another step, another glance.

The rays of the sunlight were slightly faint as it fell across the ground for another visit, but it was more than enough to lift the gloomy atmosphere that was all around the buzzling streets of the capital.

Changing the direction of her feet, the woman followed a group of particular strides. One had a pair of high-heeled ankle boots, while the other wore a pair of cute, low-heeled sandals. From afar, another pair of black, polished shoes was following their trail.

Fixed in his path; observing.

"The first thing to take in mind upon being invited to a grandeoise ball is finding the perfect finery to use."

Matching the rhythm of their idle pace, the carnelian-haired woman kept herself mute for the rest of their journey, and waited for the moment of their eventual arrival.

Raising her head from time to time, yet wanting to be unnoticed; downcast.

"A lady should appear fair and elegant before the eyes of the present nobility. Therefore, I think it would be best to seek for something far appealing than the common taste."

"Lizzy..."

Turning her eyes towards the young earl, the loquacious girl stopped with her long-winded speech and finally replied. "Yes? What is it?"

Ciel, in return, could only stare at her clueless expression with a deadpan of his own. "You've been muttering the same thing over and over for the past ten minutes. Are you done yet?"

In a moment of silence, the three stared at the blonde in expectation, ceasing their footfalls momentarily.

"Oh dear, I must've held you back, haha!" Elizabeth told them as she laughed behind her raised palm that hovered over her lips. "Well, it would be best for us to get going now, no?"

"As we should already." He grumbled in response, tapping the tip of his cane against the ground. "Yet being as you took it upon yourself to take over the planning of this little trip, you haven't seen me walking ahead."

The young girl only giggled past her betrothed, dismissing the sufferings that he was mostly implying. Skipping forward as she gripped her skirt and swayed it from side to side, Elizabeth started leading them as planned.

"Considering how sumptuous the ball will be, we must prepare as early as possible!" She dragged on and on, too blinded by her excitement to notice the growing exasperation in the earl's face yet not too much to be considered already far-off, being as she was able to make a successful turn towards another street and not get hit by a post stationed at the corner.

Another sigh. "Just tell us where we are going."

"Ah, you'll see!"

Eyes lifted from the sight of her covered feet, Elvilya began to take a few subtle glances from left to right, analyzing her new environment with great interest.

Before, she was brought to the other side of the city, one that was only surrounded with monotone brick walls and infrastractures. Now, she was walking by the center of the capital, looking at the various kinds of buildings standing adjacent to each other. The atmosphere that they gave were full of colors; unique and equally beautiful.

Somehow, it reminded her of Elizabeth.

At the thought of the ever so gleeful girl, Elvilya's gaze landed towards her. And just like a natural tendency, the previous night returned to her mind like a clear retrospect that was replaying the events over and over...