Hamzah Al wasl + Hamzah Al Qatua

Hamzah Al Qatua

There are two types of Hamzah in the Ouran. They

have different forms and rules.

The letter Hamzah appears in many different forms  in the Arabic language, but it is pronounced according to the Harakah above or below the Hamza.

Example: إ- أ- ؤ- ئ- ء

Hamza-tul Oata’ can either be at the beginning, or in the middle, or at the end of a word.

Example: أنتم – سماء

Note:

The Alif and Hamzah are 2 different letters. For Uthmani script, the letter Alif will never have Harakah whilst for Indo Pak script, the letter Alif may have Harakahs. In the latter case, the Alif is pronounced as Hamzah.

Hamzah Al wasl

Hamzah-tul  Wasl  is  pronounced  when starting the words, and dropped when continuing.

Hamzah-tul Wasl appears only at the beginning of a word. It has a little saad written on top of Alif ( ). If the reciter starts reciting from a word that begins with Hamza-tul Wasl, then it should be pronounced with Harakah. However, it is not pronounced when joining the word that starts with Hamzah-tul Wasl with the previous word.

Hamzah-tul Wasl can be pronounced with i) Fathah,

ii) Kasrah or iii) Dhammah according to the following letter.

It is pronounced with a Fathah when it is at the beginning of a noun and is followed by Laam Shamseeyah or Laam Oamareeyah.

Examples: الحمدلله رب العالمين

it is pronounced with a Kasrah when it is at the beginning of a verb and the third letter of the verb has a Fathah or a Kasrah.

Examples: إلا ابليس استكبر

It is also pronounced with a Kasrah in seven nouns in the Quran

 For example: إن ابني

It is pronounced with a Dhammah when it is at the beginning of a verb and the third letter of the verb has a Dhammah.

Examples: فمن اضطر