Chapter Three - If They Only Knew

Chapter Three – If They Only Knew

***

But I bet you if they only knew, they would just be jealous of us.

***

Victoria waited until she was safe in her room at her apartment before bursting into tears. She idolized these boys, fallen in love with their music, and fangirled over their faces. Singing with these boys was her dream, and now it was turning into a nightmare. She didn’t understand how the boys could hate her without even knowing anything about her. They didn’t know what she had done to get where she was. How hard she had worked. It wasn’t like this job was handed to her on a silver platter.

The only way she could think to prove it to them was to show them her, at home. So she picked up her phone and called the office, “Hello, it’s Victoria Castillo. I’d like to invite One Direction over for dinner at my place this Friday. Thank you.” A few minutes and some minor details later, she hung up. She was going to make them a homemade, Filipino dinner, and hopefully win at least one of them over.

***

Victoria just finished stirring the sinigang. Sinigang was a stew with okra, beef, and various vegetables. She also made some pasta with Alfredo sauce in case one of the boys was vegetarian or something. She served it family style, and set out enough plates for seven people, seeing as Tanvi refused to abandon her right now.

When she heard the knock on the door, her hands were shaking violently, but she clenched them by her sides and walked over to the door dutifully. Tanvi put a reassuring hand on her shoulder, and Victoria opened the door with a smile, “Hi, boys.”

She was met with silence. It was clear that they didn’t want to be here, and they wanted to make her know it. Stepping back quickly, not meeting their gaze, she let them into her house. Liam bumped her on his way in, and she wasn’t sure if it was an accident or not, but the steely look on her face made her realize otherwise.

Tanvi smiled at all of them and shook their hands, and to Victoria’s surprise they were cordial and kind to her. It was only towards Victoria that they were ever frigid. It stung. Tanvi noticed Victoria’s discomfort and followed her best friend into the kitchen for glasses.

“You know, I don’t care how attractive they are. If they keep up being mean to you, I can be bitchy back.” She said. Tanvi was the most loyal person that Victoria had ever met, and it warmed her heart.

“You don’t have to be mean to five boys you’ve fangirled over for forever. And we shouldn’t give them a reason for them to be angry with the both of us. Have fun with them!” Victoria said cheerfully. Tanvi gave her a look that said Stop trying to kid me. She knew how hurt Victoria was by all of this, and Tanvi hated it.

“Well I can’t have a crush on anyone who hates my sister. Just doesn’t work that way, babe.” She reaffirmed stoutly. Usually when Tanvi had her mind set on something, it was hard to sway her in any other direction. Though in this case, there was only One Direction.

“Don’t be mean to them, T. Please?” Victoria begged, “Even if they’re mean to me, no one deserves to be hated when you barely know them.”

Tanvi sighed, “Fine. But you better pinch me or something when I start getting sassy.”

Victoria chuckled and raised two fingers, “Scout’s honor.” Then she ducked as Tanvi went to whack her head.

“You were never a scout!”

Victoria laughed outright and shooed Tanvi out of the kitchen. As she bustled around the kitchen humming and pouring drinks, she heard someone come in. “I told you to go talk to the boys, T!”