Thirty-Three

At the Beach (Part One)

On Tuesday, Sakuno got up very early to prepare lots of food to take to the beach. She was so happy when she found out that everyone would be joining her, Miyu and Yukimura to the beach.

The night before, she had already prepared some cold delicacies and salad. She hummed happily as she bustled about in the kitchen.

Very soon, Yukimura and Miyu appeared, both looking rather sleepy.

Miyu had been very excited the night before and she could not sleep until very late. Yukimura was simply not a morning person.

They sat down at the kitchen and both looked a bit blank. They stared with half-closed eyes at the busy Sakuno. She was making tea for the two of them, an essential drink to wake them up.

When they were sufficiently awake, they gathered around Sakuno to see what she was preparing.

After Yukimura saw the amount of food Sakuno was making, he went to call Sanada to come over before going to the station.

He told Sanada that he would need some help to carry the food. Sanada agreed to come over and would bring another person to help.

By the other person, he was thinking of the Junior Ace, the emphasis on the word 'Junior'.

Poor Akaya was still the errand boy, messenger and person-to-be-ordered-around for the regulars. Next year, he would be free from all that when the third-years graduated but for now, he was still under their thumb and rule.

This time, however, he did not mind being ordered to help carry the food. That was because he childishly wanted to see Sakuno before the rest of the regulars.

888888

When Sanada and Akaya turned up at the Yukimura house, it was already late morning. They were going to meet at the station at around half-ten and take the train to the beach.

Akaya greeted Sakuno happily, not that he really showed it. He said with his usual smirk, "Hi, Saku-no-bunny."

Miyu knocked him on the head when she heard him. He glared at her but she had already skipped behind Sakuno and was making faces at him.

Unlike Bunta who would have gotten annoyed and probably stamped his feet, Akaya ignored her when he realized that he could not get at her and went on talking to Sakuno.

He asked what she had been up to lately and she answered him, "Miyu-chan has been helping me with my tennis when we don't have practice. I'm still very bad but Miyu-chan said that I'm improving."

Akaya looked annoyed, "If you want tennis coaching, you could've asked me, Saku-no-bunny! I play better than Miyu, don't I?"

Miyu looked outraged at his words and she was about to speak when Sakuno spoke up, "Thanks, Akaya-senpai. I know that I could've asked you but I didn't want you to be too tired. You have been so busy that I could not bear to ask you to give up more of your time. Besides, you don't have to worry because Miyu-chan is a very good coach."

Miyu's pride was much calmed by what Sakuno said and she made the victory sign at Akaya from behind Sakuno.

After Sanada finished talking with Yukimura in the living room, he went into the kitchen to see if there was anything he could do to help.