Chapter 2- "Two lives..many secrets..."

"Why didn't you call me Shanti? I told you that in such condition do call me. I will come back. Come what may."

I smack my palms on Navya's closed-door but don't get any response.

"I called you Sir..but it didn't get connected. NavuDi shut herself since we returned from the park. You promised her but were getting late so she became restless. That's why I thought to get her outside. In the park, she saw a baby sleeping in the pram. She tried to take him in her lap but I stopped her. Then she got violent and ran away to the house. After coming back by following her I found her closed in her room. Since then I have been trying my best to make her open the door but neither she opened it nor answered my words."

Shanti thoroughly explains the entire incident. After leaving the ELYSIAN building I receive her call and without wasting time hurry back to home. I know Navya is not okay till now. Medication, counselling and care brought back some senses in her but she is still living in her horrible past. Her memories are still haunting her. I again bang the door.

"Navya, open the door. It's me. See I have come to get you for a long drive. You want to go to the park...right? Let's go...get ready. Open Navu...let me choose your dress. Otherwise, nobody will call you beautiful."

I purposely say in a pampered tone. It works. She finally opens the door. Her tearstained cheeks wrench me to the core. She bangs to my chest and starts crying.

"Shanti...(hiccups)..Shanti didn't let me take my baby. She...(hiccups) says it is not my baby. Bhai...you know..right my baby needs me. Get me my baby Bhai..(hiccups)..I can't live without my baby...Bhai..."

She bursts into cry. I hug her tightly, frequently peck her head but she can't quell her blub. Finally, I decide to give her a shock. I shove her and jerk her by holding the shoulders.

"That was not your baby Navu. It can't be because you lost your baby 2 years back. It died in your womb. Try to remember."

I jerk her again. Navya is staring vacantly at me. Her void eyes have no emotion. Neither have shock nor pain.

"Remember the name who destroyed your life like this. Who snatched the biggest happiness from your life...the happiness of being a mother. Tell me the name of that bastard damn it...for how long I have to suffer like this...I have to see you like living dead?"

Saying this I leave her and fist my hair in frustration.

"For the last 2 years, I have been searching for that person like an insane but only I got is some closed doors. I am losing my patience now. Please get a grip of yourself and help your Bhai Manik to find him."

My eyes prick with tears. I stare at her in a hope that she may react but in return, I only hear the same line that she always utters in her unconscious mind.

"He will come. He promised me. He will come and take me and my baby with him. After that, we will stay together. Happily forever."

She keeps on repeating the lines and slowly disappears inside her room.

...............................................

It is exactly 7 o'clock in the morning. The grandfather clock strikes 7 conjugative bells making me irritated and almost deaf. For how many times I have requested my Big brother Mr Cabir Murthy to replace it with a smart digital clock. At least the morning would be more peaceful but he is adamant. Actually, he is adamant about almost everything in his life. However, he only failed in choosing my career according to his wish. After all, I am his Lil sis. More adamant than him. One more thing that I appreciate about him is his punctuality. People can fix time in their watches by seeing him. It is 7 am and I know he is standing in front of me without looking forward.