Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Hera's POV

I watched my my sister as she stared off at the running wolves, but mainly at the black wolf who was clearly her mate. She turned to face me, and I could not tell of her emotions.

'You have a little bit of blood on your face, sis.'

'Oh, I'll clean it up when we get back inside the mountain.'

'K.'

She led the way back up the mountain, and I dragged behind the bloodied polar bear. When it was too steep, Lydia unfurled black wings and picked up Fox by the scruff. I floated and let the polar bear dangle above the ground just barely, and Shadow floated towards me in her wolf form and took hold of the other end of the polar bear, making it easier on me. We landed at the top, and went into the cave system to the main room. I rested the large bear on the ground in front of Elizabet, and she nodded in approval. I padded down to my room, as did everyone else to their rooms. I shifted back to my human form, and walked to my small, mahogany dresser to grab clothes and pulled them on quickly, then walked to my plain white queen sized bed and flopped down, and wrapped myself in the furry, thick blanket that I've had for my whole life. I closed my eyes, letting sleep overcome me, and slipped into the dream that I've had every single night since my mate died replayed in my head.

I was washing the few dishes we had, sitting on the stone floor of the cave. I used my water power to lift the water from the bucket to scrub the dishes mixed with soap. The water that escaped I got back quickly, and repeated several times. I placed the dishes on the floor and used my powers to make them immediately dry.

"Hera! We have visitors!" Elizabet called.

I got up from my spot and made my way to the main cave, to be greeted by Elizabet and two boys. One had red hair and the other had brown hair with black streaks.

"These two are my new apprentices, Dylan, Blake, meet Hera."

I nodded, not really paying much attention to the newcomers.

"Elizabet, can I go hunting? I've finished my chores, so, can I?"

"Sure."

I left the cave and went down the mountain, sliding all the way down. I've been able to use my powers since I was little, because of the magic of the water has. My sister who I have heard about wouldn't have her powers yet. I just hope I can meet her someday. I reached the bottom of the mountain and shifted into my white panther, and sprinted into the snow blanketed forest. I rounded bends with ease, and skidded to a stop when I caught the scent of caribou. It was a strong scent, and I followed the path and came upon a herd of caribou in the bottom of a valley where there were some patches of dull green grass showing for them to graze upon. I was at the edge, and I crept down. I stepped on a branch, and it made a loud crack. They picked up their heads and panicked as they saw me, the predator who was sure to take down one of their own. They ran, and I chased after them, kicking up snow as I went along, loving the chase. I waited for an elderly or ill caribou to straggle behind, so that the younger caribou could breed and reproduce more for me to snack upon. One older one started to fall behind, and I picked up speed, veering closer to the straggler. I came just behind it and jumped on the rear, and it crumpled beneath my weight. I quickly cut off circulation and it weakly kicked. Once it was dead, I began eating, eager to eat. My animal side took over, and I continued to gulp down the body.

"Hera!"

I growled, angry that something was going to interrupt my meal. I got up and growled louder, willing to protect what was mine, and stood over the carnage. The boy with brown hair with black streaks emerged, and for the first time I looked into his eyes. They flashed purple, but my animal did not take notice, but the boy across from me did. One thing you never do is look a wild animal in the eyes, you are only challenging them, and right now I was on wild animal mode. He stepped closer, not seeing the immense danger, and my animal attacked him, and his screams were quickly cut off. I tried to stop, but the animal within me kept on tearing away organs from his body, and gulping them down. Once I was able to stop the animal inside, I shifted back to my human form, falling to my knees over his ravaged body and covered my face with my hands. I sobbed, hating myself for murdering my own mate.