Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Lydia's POV

"Lydia, you can't be using magic in school. It's too dangerous. What if you got caught?" Elizabet was scolding me. I was sitting on the couch, and I shrugged my shoulders.

"Just don't use magic in school, that goes for all of you here," Elizabet stood and left, passing the rest of the pack that stood at the edge of the living room, listening intently at what the wise woman of the pack had to say.

I left my spot on the couch and went outside. It was a cooler day, summer was drawing to a close. Some of the trees were already changing colors, readying to shed their leaves for winter. Large, puffy clouds raced through the blue sky, being pushed along by forceful winds. I wiped my hand over my face, taking the concealer off to reveal my tattoos that covered the majority of my face. I shifted to the black panther that now reached seven feet tall. I never noticed before, but now with time to think, I grew larger because of the power I've gained from becoming an Alpha. I bounded into the forest, and the house disappeared from view. I was fast, but made faster with the wind at my back, pushing me farther ever so slightly. I slowed to a stop in the middle of the territory. I picked out a tall tree that must have been growing for centuries and was still growing. It was a red oak. Strong. Durable. I climbed up the tree, jumping from branch to branch. I stopped at a branch that bent down slightly and laid down to rest, and think.

I awoke to a crisp night, the crescent moon climbing into the cold night sky. I must have slipped into sleep. I rose from the branch, stretching my aching limbs. I jumped from my perch, landing lightly on my padded feet. I walked home, but decided against it. I changed to the direction of where I used to call home, but now just a pile of rubble. I moved swiftly, reaching my destination. I walked out to the charred remains of the place I once called home. I walked over the ashes, letting it cling to my pads of my paws. I sat, shifted to human form, and let my feathery, black wings grow to a length that now reached sixteen feet long. The wings nestled close to me, as if afraid that I would lose myself to the cold, lifeless ashes that remained of the house that once proudly sat upon the ground, surrounded by trees, but now the sides of the trees are coated with black soot. I stood to my feet, now I myself am covered mostly with the dark ashes. I kicked the ashes out of a fury that now spread like wildfire through my veins, my nerve endings now electrified. Why them? Marlow and Darlene were the nicest people that could never harm a soul. Their only mistake was taking them into their home and hearts. It's my fault that they were burned to a crisp. Crashing to my knees, I sob into my hands, the tears a torrent of anger, frustration, guilt, all flowing to the ashes beneath me. I wiped the tears to my red eyes, my scarlet cheeks were moist with salty tears.

"Tears won't solve anything. Only the actions that I take will," I tell myself.

Over the next week, school was uneventful. There were a few run ins with Britany and her henchmen, but they avoided my pack and I as much as possible. Now, it was the weekend. I was holed up in my room with rest of the pack that was in the same grade as myself. The map was laid out over a desk, lit only by a dim lamp, the very blueprint of the raid that was about to take place. Fox himself drew it out, beings that he knows the area better than the rest of us combined. He went over the places that were guarded, and where the weak points were. He knew all the codes for the security system. He would be the one leading the raid, but I would be the one to do the most important part. Getting my revenge.

"At midnight, tonight, we'll be going. Getting in will be easy. Getting out, that's going to be the tricky part. Another thing, everyone going that plans on shifting from multiple different forms will need a special suit, made especially for shifting. The only form will it be apparent is the human form," Fox was saying, reviewing some of what was already planned.