Chapter Four - A shimmer of truth

The 5 friends sat in the café drinking smoothies, and discussing Flash and Twilight.
“How do you think their date is going?” Rainbow asked, eager to hear everyone else’s views.
“I hope it’s going okay.” Fluttershy mumbled.
“I’m sure it’s going just wonderfully.” Rarity smiled.
Apple Jack nodded. “Those two ‘ave been slowly pulled together since the day they met.”
 Rainbow grinned. “It can’t fail.”
Rainbow had barely finished her sentence when the door swung open, and Sunset Shimmer entered. She caught Rainbow’s eye, and quickly headed over to them with her head down.
“Hey Sunset.” Pinkie Pie called.
“Hey…” She whispered.
“Don’t worry darling, everyone will soon get used to you soon.” Rarity was quick to sense what was wrong, and she moved aside for Sunset to sit down.
Sunset Shimmer smiled softly. “Thank you… So, what are we talking about?”
“Flash and Twilight!” Pinkie exclaimed with sheer delight. “They’re on a date!”
“A date?” She asked a little surprised. “I guess it’s about time.” She began biting her nails looking down a little.
“You can say that again!” Apple Jack laughed.
Rarity noticed Sunset’s reaction. “Sorry… We forget you and Flash used to be an item.”
Sunset Shimmer groaned a little. “It’s okay, Flash is a great guy and all, but I-“ She scratched the back of her head awkwardly. “I never really liked him liked him… I was just using him to become more popular.” She sighed. “Ugh. The old me really was just awful wasn’t she?”
“The important thing is you’ve turned yourself around.” Apple Jack pointed out.
“Thanks Apple Jack, but I’m not sure everyone else at CHS sees it the same way…” She looked down.
“It’ll take time.” Rainbow agreed. “But they’ll accept you in no time…”
Sunset smiled warmly before staring down at the floor, blinking away a few tears. The truth was, at first she had used Flash, but she has secretly grown to like him, and when he broke up with her, she was genuinely upset. To see him move on, hurt her.
The door to the café opened once again. This time, to reveal Twilight and Flash walk in hand in hand. They didn’t notice the friends sat round the table giggling as they pointed them out. Sunset looked away.
Flash and Twilight headed to the counter and ordered themselves some smoothies.
As they turned around, they noticed the friends who were sat waving at them and calling them over. Flash laughed, as they took their smoothies and sat with their friends.
“How was it?” Fluttershy asked a little nervously.
“We had a great time.” Twilight blurt out instantly.
Flash nodded, taking a sip of his smoothie. “And we have some news about our date too.”
“Yes?” Rarity encouraged.
“We’re-“ Twilight began.
“TOGETHER?” Pinkie Pie almost screamed.
Twilight and Flash stared at Pinkie Pie, a little startled. “Y-yes.”
Sunset looked over at Pinkie. “Let’s not scare them away…”
Twilight caught Sunset’s eye, and her mouth formed a smile. “How are you Sunset?”
“I’m great…” She managed a little grin. “Although, others are finding it hard to accept me. I guess it’ll take time.”
Twilight nodded. “Don’t worry. We’re your friends, we can help.”
“Thank you Twilight.” Sunset smiled shyly.
Flash’s phone beeped, and he opened up the message. He sighed. “Parents. Family crisis.”
He looked over to Twilight. “I must dash, but it’s been amazing. I hope we can do it again some time?”
 “Of course!” Twilight exclaimed.
Flash kissed her cheek and stood up. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” He walked to the door, took one last glance, and then left.
Without the slightest hesitation, the friends turned to Twilight in excitement.
“You need to tell us EVERYTHING!” Pinkie squealed.
As Twilight began her story, Sunset tucked her legs under her, and bowed her head. She brushed away a tear, and watched Flash cross the street from the corner of her eye.