Ch. 8

C A I D E N ' S P O V

"What are you doing here?" I said as I admired her beauty. Wow, no wonder you get bullied Caiden. You sound like a pussy right now.

"Well hello to you too" she murmured playfully and I laughed silently. Everyone around us was so busy doing their owns things that they didn't notice us chatting.

"You look better" she said.

"Wow thanks" I murmured smiling.

"No I didn't mean it like that"

"I know I'm messing with you" I chuckled. She rolled her eyes grinning. Kylie looked down at some papers she held in her hands and bit her lip. It seemed like she wanted to say something but didn't know how. My curiosity got the best of me and I just had to ask.

"What? Spit it out" I said. Kylie handed me the flyer and I stared down at it. It read 'masquerade ball 2015'. I knew about the event. Every year they hosted a masquerade ball at this really nice place downtown. It was only for seniors, for most people it was a big deal but I didn't plan on going. If there was something I could do to avoid a beating I would do it.

"What about it?" I asked looking at her. She shrugged.

"Why don't you come?" she said and I shook my head immediakty giving her the flyer back. Kylie must be insane if she actually thought that I was gonna go with Aaron there.

"He's not going" she said. I looked at her with my brows arched "Aaron, he's gonna be out of town" she added. I then started to reconsider. It would be nice to go out, it had been years since I had gone to a party. Well I had gone to my dad's parties but they were boring, I usually hid under the tables and played on my phone or something.

"I.. I'll think about it" I said looking down at my hands. From the corner of my eyes I saw her smiling.

***
The day went by really fast. I had seen Aaron in the hallways but because Kylie was there all he did was shove me against the lockers. I had talked to my dad on the phone and he had told me he was coming home tomorrow, so my stress was growing. The bruise in my cheek had faded away but the one in my eye hadn't. It was actually getting worse. It was swollen and it would get watery every once in a while.

When I got home the first thing I did was look for Jeremiah. I had some apologizing to do. He had looked after me and cared about me for years and all I did in return was throw it on his face. I found him serving my food, shrimp with pink sauce. He knew it was my favorite, I probably needed it to relieve some of this weight in my back that wouldn't let me sleep.

My life was so messed up.

Everywhere I looked there was a problem...

"Jeremiah" I murmured as I put my backpack down in the island. Jeremiah placed the plate in front of me and his face remained expressionless.

"Here's your food Caiden" he said.

"Jeremy wait, I'm sorry" I said sighing "I didn't mean what I said earlier, you're not just the butler and you know that. You're my dad's best friend and my second father too. I just got mad, because it's true what you said. I can't take this anymore" I said as I threw myself on the stool and ran my fingers through my hair.

Jeremiah stood next to me and patted my back "I know Cay, I know" he said.

"You miss him don't you" he said as he sat down.

"You have no idea"

Jeremy laughed "you know what I don't miss, Joe messing up the furniture with his damn pudding" he said and I couldn't help but chuckled. Joe was a pain in the ass sometimes but he sure was loved. My dad even took it hard, he was his other son.