Chapter 13 - Asuma

It was only after I began brainstorming this answer that I realized.... we've seen the future of all the Rookie 9... and we only gave Ten Ten and Lee left as genin ninjas.

I've made a decision and unfortunately, I won't be doing the future of the parents. However, I will be taking requests for who's future you'd like to see as a bonus after this story is 'officially' finished.

So send in your requests in my messages (whether on Wattpad or FFNET) or if you're apart of the Discord (tho I rarely check that but go ahead, I do see the notifications)

That being said... the persons left are Kurenai, Asuma, Gai, Lee and Ten Ten.

So... Asuma steps up to the plate.

Let's go...

Asuma Sarutobi was a man who knew how to enjoy the smaller things in life. He was a relaxed person, and rarely did he left himself worry about situations that may have seen dire. After all, he was relatively young and had a beautiful not-so-secret girlfriend in his life.

But now... now he was left unsure about his life.

After all, he had discovered that he was going to die before getting the chance to see his daughter if he inferred correctly from Ino's future and that could mean he could within the next year or the next decade.

As a shinobi, death was commonplace. But his was confirmed.

It wasn't the experience he had expected when he got the summons from his father.

But he had to face the music sometime, and that was why he was now channeling his chakra through the seal matrix, hoping to find a future worth looking forward to before he bit the dust.

Unnoticed by him, he was watched by the steely gaze of his father, Hiruzen.

The Third Hokage was someone who had seen many things throughout his life. He had lived through the ninja wars, seen the image of his student who he had considered a son distort into an unrecognizable and watch too many young shinobi lives cut short.

But if he was to see the death of his son after losing his precious Biwako, that would no doubt be his breaking point.

"Their footprints are irregular. Their impatience must have strengthened their fatigue," a muffled voice murmured. A gloved hand slowly traced a solitary footprint in the sand. It was clearly a print made by a shinobi sandal, alongside many other prints and oddly enough, a set of dog tracks. "They're getting tired. We'll catch up to them soon enough. They won't getaway."

"A tracker shinobi?" Sakura asked the room.

''More than likely," Kakahshi answered his student.

"But then who is he tracking? Asuma-sensei?"

Kurenai tensed, wondering if she was about to see Asuma's last moments.

A chorus of dark chuckles was the reply to the speaker's assessment as he stood from where he was crouched on the ground. Dusting his hands, he motioned his head towards the direction of the footprints, deeper into the foliage. They were surrounded by trees, and the distant sounds of several battles softly echoed in the place of scurrying creatures who had long vacated the area.

An explosion boomed several miles away.

"This will be easy pickings."

He was a tall shinobi, clad predominantly in gray. He wore a black ski mask and his neck was adorned with a thick, wooly camouflage cover. The only sign of his allegiance was the iron plate sewn on to his mask over his eyes.