six

HANA

His voice hesitates and falters, knowing I heard what he said. Carl is Harry's dad?

"Have a good sleep, son."

"You too."

Both Harry and I breathe out a huge sigh of relief when the door shuts, leaving us alone again, the looming silence of Harry's inadvertently shared secret clouding over us.

I don't make a move to leave my position, not even when Harry lifts up the corner of his duvet, letting the light in, highlighting some of the items under here; a tennis racket, a football, some books and a colourful box, decorated with feathers and glitter. I feel his body, much longer than mine, slide next to me, releasing the duvet and plunging us into darkness again.

"Carl is your dad?" I ask, confused.

"Yeah," he sounds uncomfortable, so I don't push it.

"I should probably go back to my cabin," I hold my breath, waiting for his reaction.

He lifts the duvet corner up again, illuminating one part of his face in a soft light, and pouts, "but my snickers."

"I'll get you one in the morning."

"Want one now," he mumbles, dropping the fabric again.

"Well, I almost just caught in your cabin. Way past lights out. By the camp owner. Who is also your dad. So don't think I'm risking my ass for a snickers by going to the vending machines - where I would absolutely get found - and then sneaking back into your room."

"It wouldn't be you that'd get the punishment," he replies, almost too quietly for me to hear it, although I can tell his voice sounds hurt.

"Harry, I really should go," I say, fumbling around until I find his hand and place mine on top of it.

"Hana, that's my dick." I yank my hand away, whispering an ew! before he wraps his large hand around my own, giggling at my reaction. "I'm kidding. I'll see you tomorrow morning. With my snickers. Or else."

"Bye, Harry."

✩︎

Thankfully, Ella and the other girls are fast asleep when I return. Unfortunately, the same doesn't happen for me until four in the morning, my thoughts consumed by Harry even when he's not here. I can't stop thinking about everything.

Carl is his dad.

Why does Harry live in a cabin if his dad lives in a house just away from the main camp?

What did he mean when he said it wouldn't be me getting punished?

It's all so confusing. Harry even makes a surprise appearance in my dreams once I fall to sleep just as the light begins to creep through and birds sing gracefully, their wings fluttering through the trees.

Is Harry thinking about me?

I shake my head as soon as the thought pops into it, forcing the reality to replace it; he's a player. He doesn't care about you. You're not special. He'll be fucking Amy for real within days.

"Hana, wake the fuck up," Ella's indelicate voice rips me from my much-needed sleep, the bright light shining through the windows and blinding me, "you missed breakfast."

"You let me miss breakfast?" I ask, more than ready to murder her.

"I tried waking you up but you wouldn't. Kept saying something about 'I'll get it in the morning, I should go'. I was hungry," she explains with a nonchalant shrug.