Prologue: love

Hey there! 🤩💜💜
I really hope you enjoy this. I sincerely had soooo much fun writing this, and I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out... I love this show to the farthest extent, and I hope to honour it with this fic.
If you like a chapter, please vote and comment!
Again, I hope you enjoy reading

There are a few basic traits that must be established, in order to write a good romance novel. The fundamentals. First, you need a sympathetic heroine: a female protagonist. This is one of the most important features, actually. The characters of a story strongly influence how the reader is feeling, thus marking the fate of what is readable, and what is not.

There's a hero too, obviously. You can't get anywhere without the masculine love interest. The strong, irresistible male protagonist who draws the pathetic heroine in with his cold, endearing words which (eventually) turn into exalted professions of his undying love.

What else is there? ...oh, yes.

Emotional tension. Believable plot. A happily ever after that concludes the yearning and struggling of such a comedic love. And if you ask me, comedic is exactly the right word to describe a romance novel. You know, Romeo & Juliet—the most famous love story of all time—was originally supposed to be a comedy. And rightly so. I guess it's because Shakespeare understood and decided the truth: love is nothing more than a ridiculous, hilarious fairytale.

Eun Dano closes her laptop.

•••

What a disturbing blog post. How could someone even write something like that? Of course love exists. Of course it's more than just some hilarious fairytale... isn't it? To be honest, she wouldn't know. She'd only loved once and that was in 8th Grade, in her hometown, far far away from here. The time seems far away too.

The autumn leaves fall from the strikingly beautiful tree just outside the library window. Dano's eyes catch on the motion of a single leaf, swaying and floating in the fickle breeze. It tosses and flips at nature's command; utterly helpless...

"Eun Dano."

Dano looks up, startled. A girl stands in front of her. Shin Saemi. They have a few classes together.

"Oh—uh, yes?"

Shin Saemi places a familiar black pen on Dano's desk. It's hers. It must have fallen just now without her knowing. Shin Saemi eyes her blankly through the corner of her eye, "You dropped this."

"O-Oh.." Dano gasps a laugh. "...um, thanks."

Saemi nods, but quickly turns away. Flicking her hair over her shoulder, she immerses herself back in conversation with a few other people, clustered around another table. They're probably her friends. Dano wonders how Saemi befriended people so quickly. Did they all know each other before they enrolled here? Did they already go to the same high school, and then decided to try to get into a university together?

Or maybe it's just Dano.

Maybe she is the odd-one-out here. Maybe she is bad at making new friends and, like Dohwa said, repels everyone away.