Chapter 42

Warm hands wrap around my stomach and squeeze me tight.

"Happy Birthday, Handsome." Hayley whispers. I turn around to look at her, her face meets with mine and I let out a smile.

"Thanks, beautiful. How did I get so lucky?" I ask, referring to the angel lying beside me. We both climb out of bed and make our way downstairs and in to the kitchen.

"Hey! Happy birthday, Sweetheart." Amelia greets. I give her a hug and she kisses me on the cheek. "Presents later!" She teases.

"Thanks!" I say enthusiastically. My father walks over and places his arm around my shoulder.

"Happy birthday, Kid!" He tells me. "The big sixteen, eh?" I nod and smile.

"Sit down, breakfast for the birthday boy." Amelia instructs, as I take a seat, she presents me with a plate of pancakes. I immediately pick up the syrup and drizzle it on generously. I tuck in and finish with in seconds. One of the first things I'm going to do is change my surname, from Gordon to Williams.

********************************************

The doorbell echoes through the house, and I run downstairs to get it, however, Hayley has beaten me too it. Jacob greets us, and he smiles directly at me.

"Happy birthday, Mate." He smiles, hugging me and patting me on the back.

"Thanks." I laugh. He hands me an envelope and I take it and thank him again. We walk through to the kitchen where we greet my parents and all of my extended family members. In Jacob's card is twenty pounds, I stuff it in to my pocket. Everybody is drinking alcohol, apart from Amelia, Hayley and I. We move in to the lounge and everybody is speaking. Jacob looks at me and gets up from his seat on the sofa, he moves in to the hallway, and I take the subtle hint and follow him. We're now alone.

"First birthday in a while you've been sober." He comments, jokingly. I laugh it off. "You want a another little birthday present? It's not fair that you're the only non-pregnant sober one." He says, with a smirk on his face. I look at him seriously.

"Yes." I mutter.

"You guys alright?" A voice interrupts before we get a chance to take this any further. I look behind Jacob to see my father, who has broken himself from the crowd to get more drinks.

"Yeah." Jacob replies. "I'm Just telling him how proud I am of him and how far he's come." He lies.

"We all are." My dad winks, putting his hand around me. I can tell he's slightly drunk. He walks off into the kitchen and Jacob reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small, white pill. I take it from his hand and clutch it in my fist, making sure no one else is around. Shoving it in my mouth, I walk through to the living room again and sit down. The ecstasy takes hold and I begin to enjoy myself even more.

********************************************
I clutch my girlfriends stomach, and run my hand around it in a clockwise direction. Hayley presses my hand flat on to it and straight away, I feel a kick. My hand stays put for a moment, cherishing this experience. I feel another one, and I let out a smile. I move my head down to her stomach, and lie beside my baby, watching her every move. Soon, I will have a child. Soon, I will have someone that needs me, someone to live for.

********************************************

I walk in to the kitchen to greet my parents. My father, who is sitting at the table reading a newspaper, and my mother, who is making lunch. It smells good, even though I'm not very hungry. When it is ready, we sit down to eat. I begin to wander what like will be like in three months, when Amelia's babies are born. Feeding, changing, washing. It's going to be tough. Especially when my child comes along. I finish lunch and head upstairs, turning on my TV, I watch about ten minutes of it before switching it off and heading back downstairs. I walk in to the lounge where my parents are slouched on a sofa, watching TV.