Chapter 40

The past few weeks have been hectic, police officers, lawyers, social workers have all been "trying their best to prepare me for court". I think they've forgotten that I've been through this before. I'm terrified, facing him, even being in the same room as him, it's going to be horrible. Hayley and Jacob will be there - along with my parents. These weeks have been especially busy. Not only with that, but Amelia found out the sex of the babies. Two girls and a boy. It's even more realistic now, we've started decorating the rooms, I think it's to take my mind off things, only 20 weeks left and I'll have a brother and sisters. Hayley gets another scan tomorrow, I'm excited, I hope we can find out the sex too. The court case is on Wednesday, only three days. Three days and it will be over, whether it's a good or bad outcome. He's pleading not guilty, even though there is DNA to prove it. I have to give evidence, which is scaring me the most.
********************************************
The doorbell echoes through the house, disrupting me from playing games on my iPhone. I reach for the door handle and pull the door open. A man and a woman stand, dressed in suits.
"Are you Michael Williams?" They ask. I nod and gulp. "Is your Mum or Dad home?" I nod to that as well. Amelia appears beside me. She takes over.
"Can I help?" She asks them.
"We're from the prosecution team, we were just wondering if we could come in?" The woman says. Amelia steps back and let's them in, they all go to the kitchen, and I follow them, as I walk in a look to my dad, who looks confused.
"My name is Ruby and this is Geoff. We would like to explain what's going to happen in court on Wednesday. Just so you know what to expect. I know a lot of people have gone over this with you, but we would also like to offer our support, and answer any questions you might have." I nod solemnly, listening to every word. "First of all, the evidence is strong. However, John Summers is pleading not guilty. So we obviously want to get as much evidence and statements on our side. Such as, the statements of any witnesses." The woman explains. Making strong eye contact with us all.
"But there wasn't any witnesses." I highlight. The prosecution officers exchange glances.
"You're right. However, your parents witnessed the aftermath, the trauma you went through. They know how this has affected your personality. If we could put them on the stand, then it would strengthen the case even more." We all know what they're insinuating. I shake my head.
"No way." I begin. My dad's hand shoots up - hushing Me.
"Would it get him put away?" He asks, placing his hand back down on the table.
"It would definitely give us a better chance." The man tells us. "John has an alibi, so does the other offender. They're are also witnesses that back them up. We need to do as much as we can to back you up, we believe you - and so will the jury. But a little bit of guilt and sympathy wouldn't go a miss." He says, finishing his suggestion.
"I'll do it." Agrees my father.
"So will I." Adds Amelia.
"No. I don't want you too." I protest again. Everyone turns to look at me.
"We all need to do as much as we can." My father says, trying to reassure me. I keep shaking my head. "We'll do it." He repeats.
********************************************
The fuzzy image appears on the screen, it's a bit bigger than last time. The woman in white, continues looking at the screen for a few moments and then turns to us with a familiar smile.
"Everything's still going great. Would you like to know the sex?" She asks, handing Hayley a tissue to wipe the gel off of her stomach. We exchange glances and Hayley turns to the woman and nods.
"Yes please." She throws in.
"You'll have to start buying lots of pink - its a girl." Hayley starts crying, tears of happiness I hope. I wrap her in my arms and rub her back.
"It's a girl." She whispers. Only twenty five weeks to go.
********************************************
My hand presses one button repeatedly on the remote, flicking through the channels on TV. I can't settle. Hayley walks in and sits right next to me, I lean against her, and place my head on her growing stomach, next to our baby girl. There's less than two days until the court case, the nerves have completely taken over. I lose all sense of time, and I forget how long we've been lying in this position. I remember my therapy session this afternoon, and how I told Sarah I was terrified, she did her best to reassure me, but it wasn't enough. My Parents walk though, and sit down on the sofa across from us, copying our position, my father lies caressing Amelia's stomach, where his babies lie. I start to get restless and stand up, I walk to the hallway and say goodbye to Hayley, who is staying at her house tonight. I walk in to the living room and then through to the hallway again, which is lit up with overhead lights.
"Where are you going?" A voice questions from behind. Twisting around, my face meets with my Father's.