Chapter 39

The sterile smell lingers in my nose, people's squeaky footsteps passing by, it's quiet - too quiet. I can hear myself think, I look at Hayley, who looks to me for reassurance, with a worried look on her face. I smile at this beautiful girl beside me, to let her know it's ok. I look at her mother beside her, who is not worried but is carrying a serious expression.
"Hayley Cooper." A voice shouts, breaking the silence. We all stand up and walk towards the voice, squeezing in to the small ultrasound room. The woman in white introduces herself and goes through all the procedure, the she squirts a slimy gel on to Hayley's small, rounded stomach. Hayley winces when it hits her stomach. "Sorry, it's cold." The woman laughs. Hayley's mum smiles at her and they make small talk. The woman then rubs a grey stick over her stomach, making the monitor produce a fuzzy image. She moves the camera over her stomach some more and then turns to us and smiles. "Everything's looking good, baby is growing at a good rate." Hayley and I turn to each other and smile, then I kiss her on the head. "Come back in six to eight weeks and we'll be able to tell you the sex." This excites Hayley and she smiles at me and her mother. The ride home was quiet, Hayley and I just keep glancing at one another - grinning.
I walk in to my house, emotionally exhausted. The kitchen drifts in to view and I walk in, greeted by Oscar and my parents. They smile, and I smile back, holding up a blurry, black and white picture.
"Everything's ok so far." I explain. Amelia waddles over, and takes the photo from my hand, she is mesmerised by it, staring at the photo with wet eyes.
"Thank god, Sweetheart." She says, kissing my head. My father walks over and looks over her shoulder - smiling just as much.
"Well done, Mate." He exclaims. I take the photo and walk upstairs, striding in to my room and sticking it to the wall by my bed. I smile at the little figure on the piece of card.
********************************************
The smell of roast beef floats in the air, I take a seat at the dinner table - Hayley on one side and my Uncle on the other. I turn to Hayley and smile, she grins back, relief spreads over me as I realise she's met my entire family now. Other family members sit around the feast, chattering about Amelia's babies and mine.
"You're going to be a great Father, Michael." My Grandmother tells me. I look at her and smile. "And you a great Mother, Hayley."
"Thanks, I guess i'll learn from the best." I reply, quickly glancing at my father, who is already looking at me. As the food and wine is demolished, we end up in the Living room, the conversation focuses on Me and Hayley.
"So you're just having one baby?" My aunt asks, joking about Amelia's triplets
"I hope so." I reply.
"You been for a scan yet?" She asks, I nod and take the photo out of my wallet, where i now keep it. Everyone gasps and crowds round. With Amelia's sister holding it. "That's amazing. It's so small!" She continues as they gush over the little grey blur. As the photo is passed around, my Dads sister, my aunt Kate, takes me aside.
"You scared?" She asks, looking at me softly. I nod in reply.
"I'm terrified." I admit.
"You're both going to be amazing parents, I can promise you that. Things will just come naturally, and don't forget you have all of us to help you." She smiles, speaking slowly.
"Thank you," I say, hugging her.
********************************************
I sigh in frustration, throwing my pen in disgust. Amelia sits herself down beside me, preparing herself. She takes the book from in front of me, and studies it. Then she places it back down and explains the equation to me, slowly and understandably. I start to understand, and I complete some more tasks, all with Amelia by my side. With her help, I complete all of my work for today and I stay in the kitchen and help with the chores, emptying the dishwasher and preparing dinner. The front door slams shut and my father approaches the kitchen, whistling. Amelia and I plate up dinner and we all sit down to eat.
"You manage ok with your work today?" My father asks me, taking a mouthful of food. I nod my head while eating.
"Amelia helped." I share, taking a sip of water.
"That's great." He says, smiling at us both. "You know, Michael, soon you'll be sixteen, and you won't have to do that stuff." I nod along.
"I know, I can't wait." I say, eating a forkful of carrots. My Dad smirks but does not look away.
"Any idea what you do want to do?" He asks. I've been dreading this question for a while. I shake my head.
"Get a job, I suppose."
"You should have a think about career choices, just think of anything you're interested in." He suggests. I nod along to that too.
********************************************
A blow to the face knocks me down, and I bash my head on the street, blood surrounds me, and I scream. I am grabbed and pulled in to a car, the same blue car as before. My hands are held in place and I struggle for breath, spitting out blood in the process. My voice shouts for my Mother and Father and a strong hand clashes with my stomach, and then my face. My bare legs wriggle as my jeans are pulled from me. I scream desperately for my mother again, a third time lucky and I am shaken, all before the worst part.
My eyes instantly focus on Amelia, who is kneeling at my bedside, with an upset expression on her face, I sleepily wipe the tears from my face - although this does not wake me up more, I stare incoherently.
"Mum?" I whisper, staring at Amelia.
"I'm right here, I promise. I'm not going anywhere." She reassures. I look at this heavily pregnant woman, the woman who came running when I called for her - My mother.
My head falls back against the pillow, and soft lips press against my cheek.
********************************************