Chapter 7: The Ranch

Today we embark on a new adventure, across the United States to live on the Astaroth Vineyard, in sunny California. From the news we heard, their weather is getting just as bad, and I could see the worry on Talion's face. If this keeps up his business will be ruined along with the miles and miles of the grapevines he owns.

Watching his facial expression, when he thinks I'm not looking, reminds me of Dan, back when the business was just starting out and at the end.

Talion has not been in contact with the vineyard manager, the viticulturist assistant, or even the ranch manager. He's only spoken to the housekeeper, Rose, and his ranch hand, Jaxon. From what he's told me, they have been painting our rooms and getting the house ready for our arrival. George, the manager of the ranch, has been in the hospital after his apartment was robbed. The poor man was shot in the shoulder but is expected to make a full recovery.

This is going to be a very busy time for Talion. He said that once we arrive, the first thing he will need to do is check is the vines, to make sure they have not frozen completely. Then, we will need to contact the rest of his staff and get them back to work.

Hopefully, they will be able to return or Talion's life will be that much harder, as well as my own.

We decided to fly to the ranch, due to the weather and with the hope that he will be able to save some crops. If we arrive in time and can start the harvest, Talion's business should be fine, so he says.

I'd like to believe him, but knowing that look, my husband is very apprehensive. Sitting on the plane, his leg has not stopped shaking, and he's restless. Holding my hand seems to calm him, but not for long.

The kids have been very quiet, and I fear they will never forgive me. Deep down they know I'm not a monster, but I lied to them about how Dan died. They also think that I might be making up the fact that Talion is their real dad. Plus, now I've ripped them away from the only home they've ever known and we are flying across the United States to live.

Sitting behind us, I overheard Luke and Ella talking, and it broke my heart. My kids don't believe me anymore, and I have to win back their trust.

Thank God, Talion is not a monster to deal with, as Dan. He will hopefully show our children patience, love, and understanding.

Talion says, "I spoke with Jaxon and he will be picking us up at the airport. Then we will head to the ranch, and I'll need to get some work done. I'm sorry, Cece, but I have to know how the vines faired throughout this cold snap. After that, I'll have to find my staff or hire more people to help with the harvest. Worst-case scenario, we will need to begin that immediately."

"Sweetheart, don't worry about us. You have so much on your plate and the last thing you need is to think about unpacking and things like that, okay?" I reply with a smile.

He adds, "You are so good to me, my lady, but this is not how I thought our first moments at the ranch would be and the kids..."

"Our kids will be just fine, in time," I say, as he kisses my cheek.

Stepping off the plane feels great. It was a very long flight, and we got up really early this morning just to wait around for our flight to take off. Now, we just need to get our bags, find his ranch hand, and finally go to the house. To hear Talion talk, the place is not much, but we will make it a home, now that we are together.

After waiting for what seemed like an hour, the airline customer service agent explains how sorry she is that our bags got lost.

Ella is crying, Luke has a scowl on his face and again, it's all my fault we came here.