30 - On the way to a million

Sage paced waiting for a knock on her door. She glanced in the mirror to see if she looked okay. She shouldn't care after all he would not be staying long. Did she look like she had just been kissed? One man was on his way up while another had just left. Never did she expect to be that kind of girl. Never did she expect to be the other woman. Humiliation coursed through her.

The rap on the door made her jump. She remembered once when she was in school. While returning from the bathroom, she saw the fireman at the fire alarm. She went back to class knowing there would be a fire drill, yet she still jumped when the alarm sounded. With her heart pounding, she opened her door and stood aside for him to enter. Her eyes were cast down, she couldn't look at his face.

Taking a deep breath, she let it out slowly. "Ginny was very nice."

"So you know." His voice was flat.

"That you're a lying cheat? Yes, I know. Didn't she tell you all about the rich girl's visit?" Her voice raised with each word. Her mother had taught her calm and even, but she was positive Bea never faced a similar situation.

"You impressed her. She said you left early, because you were sick."

"I was sick all right. I was sick the moment I realized her guy, the one who calls her Ginger, was you. She loves you and you don't deserve her."

"My relationship is not your concern." He clenched his teeth.

"Are you angry with me? I left so I wouldn't be tempted to break her heart. Like I said, she's too good for the likes of you."

"You had no trouble taking me to your bed." He might as well as slapped her across the face.

"I trusted you and even when I questioned you, you lied. Right, you aren't married, but after sixteen years, you are as good as. Why are you even here? To see what I knew hoping I'd drag you to the bedroom or was it to find out what I told Ginny? Listen, I like my job and if you attempt to put it in jeopardy, I will tell Ginny. Your secret is safe, as long as you remain fair and professional toward me. Be perfectly clear, we are done."

"Are you threatening me?"

"Call it what you will, but I suspect you could lose your job, if it got out you slept with me. I have no interest in hurting her, but I will if you play dirty."

"You've probably already moved on to your boy. The one who has been drooling over you."

"You don't have the right to be jealous! You never did. As for Aidan, he is more a man than you. He's my best friend, so I think it's time for you to go."

She hadn't moved far from the door and reached out to open it.

When he walked out their eyes met. He looked the same as when she was crushing on him and when they were lovers, but she only felt numb. The electricity has short-circuited, and she wished she never had to see him again.

As she closed her door behind him her hands trembled. She had spent days rehearsing what she wanted to say to him and probably forgot half of it. It didn't matter. He was a coward and wouldn't chance crossing her. Poor Ginny, she deserved better.

Still shaking, she poured herself a glass of wine and gulped it. She let the liquid calm her. Determined to have a good evening, she changed into a flowery dress her mother would adore and touched up her makeup after putting her hair up in a bun. Her belly felt like she just went down a hill on a back road as she thought of Aidan. He thought she was beautiful.

The moment she stepped into Rachel's apartment, his eyes searched hers. His hands were covered in dough which he was kneading.

Mia exclaimed, "Sage! You look gorgeous. Aidan, doesn't she look gorgeous?"